Thread: Transitioning from gi to no gi

Default Transitioning from gi to no gi

I train/compete BJJ but in a gi. I've recently started no gi and with the grips taken away, I struggle to control opponent and set up subs, esp basic ones like arm bar from guard.
    Any little techniques that will help me improve my no gi game?

For the armbar from guard, reverse grip on their elbow with your oposite arm is priceless. It's super hard to pull the arm out of (unlike wrist control), so that works as your grip.

get in the habit of thinking what am i trying to achieve and how can i do it with maximum efficiency and minimum exposure. apply this principle to your no gi grips and away you go
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

get used to under and overhooks as your main grips. wrist control is pretty useless if ur sweaty.

Think about the techniques outside of the no-gi / gi box.

1. What is the arm connected to? The shoulder.
    2. Where does the elbow go when they pull it out of your armbar attempt? backwards of course.

Therefore, what you need to do (gi or not!) is:
    1. keep their posture broken, so the shoulder is down low
    1.b. lock that shoulder tight with your leg clamp and high guard
    2. make sure your legs/guard are tight and your (left) thigh is tight behind their (right) elbow so it can't go anywhere.

some say the no gi game is looser. I think the exact opposite. you need to be much tighter with your under- and overhooks and clinch in no gi.

Enjoy!
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Quote Originally Posted by liamwandi View Post
    Think about the techniques outside of the no-gi / gi box.

1. What is the arm connected to? The shoulder.
    2. Where does the elbow go when they pull it out of your armbar attempt? backwards of course.

Therefore, what you need to do (gi or not!) is:
    1. keep their posture broken, so the shoulder is down low
    1.b. lock that shoulder tight with your leg clamp and high guard
    2. make sure your legs/guard are tight and your (left) thigh is tight behind their (right) elbow so it can't go anywhere.

some say the no gi game is looser. I think the exact opposite. you need to be much tighter with your under- and overhooks and clinch in no gi.

Enjoy!
    Thanks, thats good advice.