Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gel hand wraps

Default Gel hand wraps

Whats everyones opinions on these?

I have bad joints due to always clicking my bones, so I feel more supported on the backs of my hands, but not as much on my wrist.

Plus, they are a lot quicker to put on.
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

Moderator of Love <3

I prefer traditional handwraps they just seems to feel more real and just better. I don't know why :L

I've just ordered a pair which are coming next week so I will be interested to hear people opinions, do they offer more or less protection than wraps?

Gel wraps only cusion the impact really. Proper wraps aid in compression keeping your bones nice and compact and not loose.

Its harder to put the gloves on ith gel wraps.
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

They are pretty good in my opinion:

Pros:
    Easier to put on (Literally like putting on a glove as oposed to learning wrapping technique)
    Quicker to put on (good if you go from BJJ to Striking a lot)
    Comfier (No uneveness or cuts in between fingers)
    Better protection of knuckles (I have bad hands and these absorb A LOT)

Cons
    There is almost no wrist support (With the normal handwraps I like to go round in total 5-7 times, but most gel wraps go round just the once. You could argue the gel takes a lot of the impact away from the wrist but I find you bend your wrist slightly more than wraps if you miss-throw your punch)
    They don't last long (Either they fall to bits or stink very, very quickly. Washing them seems to wreck them too)

Hope this helps.
    "When you're not training; somebody else is training to kick your ass."
    Part of Team Savage. Trained by Alex 'The Boy' Owen:
    http://www.teamsavage.co.uk/

the blitz ones offer more wrist support than others
    http://www.blitzsport.com/Raging-Bul...=9&category=42
    not much knuckle protection though
    Sponsored by...PASnutrition, G4MMA, Physicool, Garra fightwear!

i struggle to get mine under my gloves! but i wear them when doing circuits involving light bag work etc. No replacement for the real thing, especially if you have wanky wrists like me
    Last edited by Dave78; 01-12-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: I can't spell bag! which is a shame really given that it's a three letter word :)
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

ive got the ufc gel wraps, and they are really good in the way of support but after a while i find they slip and slide down the wrist which isnt good, gel wraps are good but i think traditional wraps will always be more reliable

My everlast pair came in the post today and I haven't had chance to use them but just tried them on and they seem to offer quite a bit of protection and the wrist velcro can be done up pretty tight but I can't give a proper judgement until I have had a good session.