Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Women Entering Men's Divisions?

Default Opinions on Women Entering Men's Divisions?

How do you feel about women entering men's divisions?

Have run in to a problem with the UMA over this. Basically, I've got a girl entered in the event (-65kg womens) but so far there no other women in it so she asked if she could do the men's -65kg novice and they said no.

There are 3 options and I don't understand why they won't go with the obvious one....

Option 1: She fights ANY women who shows up, no matter what their experience or size. This could quite easily be a very unfair match up but obviously she'll do it as that's why she entered.

Option 2: Create a mixed pool with guys who will fight her. She's agreed to this too but surely only guys who are very confident they'll beat her will choose to do it and fighters shouldn't get to choose who they fight in an open tournament.

Option 3: She enters the men's -65kg so has a chance to fight against people to same size and experience level. They won't allow her to do this.

This problem has arisen because I had the only girl fight in their last event too and they asked the guys if they'd fight her and they said no.

I understand if the organisers just don't want to have mixed divisions, that is 100% their choice. But if they will let her fight blokes then why only ones who choose to fight her because they are confident they'll beat her?

I've competed against women and have no problem with it. In fact, just about the hardest person I've grappled in competition was ADCC competitor Rachel Wheatley.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

similar thing at ground control, they used to let the women join in the men's categories until there were sufficient number of women. I think the last two comps there has been a pretty healthy number of women there.

i know of at least two high level competitors that are women that compete regularly in mens divisions and there is never any trouble..in fact on of the ladies got to the final of a -75kg cat litle over 6months ago..

i dont see the problem tbh..a fights a fight and woman train equally if not harder than the men..

On another note i had a friend who was drawn against a lady in his first tournament..he didnt wnat to fight and the after a talking to, he did..He stepped on the mat, footswept her..laid her down very gently and went to north south and delicately applied a kimura until she tapped..he then helped her up and bowed to her as she got to her feet..

the audience loved it and they recieved a round of appluase..

My point? Let women compete..

Organisers of ANYTHING should go out of their way to help women get a shot at competing. It's difficult enough for them to step up in a male dominated sport as it is! *Burns Bra*

Default Reply to Nathan's Post

Hi Nathan.

Unfortunately, as explained over the phone with you a few minutes ago, the best we can do is the following:

If the Female Fighter is the only one in her Division i.e U65kg, then these are the available options:

The UMA will refund the Entry Fee should she wish not to attend due to no female opponents being available to fight against.

Amalgamate the Female U65kg and O65kg to form a "Ladies Open Weight" providing there is another Female Fighter in the O65kg Category to allow us to do so.

Or if she still wants to attend to try and get a contest with one of the males in the Mens Novice U65kg Division, then there is following we can try and do for her: The UMA will ask any of the Male Fighters in the U65kg Mens Novice Category if they would like to Fight against a Novice Female U65kg, if so, then a new Category will be formed i.e "Male/Female Mixed U65kg Novice" providing there is at least one Fighter from the U65kg Mens Novice willing to do so, or a maximum of two Male Fighters, as so she gets a minimum of two contests either way etc.

If they all say no and we can't get anyone in the Mens Novice U65kg to give her a contest etc, then the best I can do is apologies for trying our best for her and the Coach etc, and refund her Entry Fee in full.

We will always try our best for everyone, its our nature, and anyone who has ever been to a UMA Event over the last 4 years knows that very well, we always aim to be fair and flexible, and we always try our hardest to keep everyone happy etc.

Jim
    Web: umauk.co.uk - Facebook: facebook.com/UnitedMartialAlliance - Twitter: twitter.com/UMA_NGB

Why the need to ask the men? Do you ask them all if its ok to have a fighter with more experience enter? or if a fighter is a different sexual orientation? Why not just enter her. Fighters shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose in tournaments.
    Genetically Different.

Personally i would be very uncomfortable competing against a woman, I dont agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin+ View Post
    Why the need to ask the men? Do you ask them all if its ok to have a fighter with more experience enter? or if a fighter is a different sexual orientation? Why not just enter her. Fighters shouldn't be allowed to pick and choose in tournaments.
    i agree..10 char

Quote Originally Posted by 123 MMA View Post
    Personally i would be very uncomfortable competing against a woman, I dont agree with it.
    i dont feel comfortable competing against a 100+kg roid monkey..but sometime these things happen..

I train with a woman every wednesday and she hands my ass to me on a plate (not only me, she has caught a good few of us). she is lighter than me, strong as fck and a real menace ... she is also very gracius , polite and very cool.

I think its the way forward , she has contributed to my game considerably....

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/