Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on Women Entering Men's Divisions?

Just a point, but some male fighters may well have religious objections to fighting women, and as such they should be allowed the choice. If you allow her to fight the men's, but the first male fighter cannot fight women for religious reasons, then you have to shift the brackets. In effect allowing people to choose their opponents.

...so...um...there.

Take care,

Stalks
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

I don't really see why superstition should be seen as an acceptable reason for discrimination in the 21st century. If I joined a cult that said I shouldn't grapple red haired people, should I be allowed that choice too?
    Last edited by Rosi; 03-12-2009 at 06:57 AM.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Quote Originally Posted by Rosi View Post
    I don't really see why superstition should be seen as an acceptable reason for discrimination in the 21st century. If I joined a cult that said I shouldn't grapple red haired people, should I be allowed that choice too?
    No because Gingers have that retard strength that would make it dangerous for them to roll against women!

On a more serious note, we never had a problem with the women being in the Mens divisions at Ground Control. I'm sure we'll get a big post about "It is the policy of the UMA" blah blah.

If the cult gets big enough, then by today's standards, you'd be good to go. As long as you're a cult and not a religion, you're just being awkward. But once you have numbers on your side, you're being discriminated against.

Go figure. @_@

Take care,

Stalks
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

it just down to guys that are worried about get there ass served to them on a plate by a woman... simple

Sounds like this girl has everyone running scared

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

If you look at most other sports, it isnít mixed sex. I'm not saying its right, itís just a fact.

Some guys I know are just not comfortable at a competitive level with female partners. Training and light sparring is no problem for them but in a competition environment, not everyone would be able to give it their all. I donít understand it but then I am a girl! Pound for pound I'm not as strong as a lot of the lads in my gym but I have a lot of advantages over some of them too.

I think the obvious solution (and one I have seen at several events) would be if the female concerned is happy to compete in a group with guys who are happy to go against her, what is the problem? If the ladies continue to turn up to compete and are turned away as the only one in their categories, they will stop entering comps. If they are alwasy guaranteed a round even against the lads then more will be motivated to turn up and the sport will develop to allow for female only categories.
    http://www.godsofwarmma.com/
    MMA, Grappling and Kickboxing classes in Reading Berkshire

I'm not a fan of mixed sex brackets, it's a shame there aren't enough women entering competitions, it's hardly the UMA's fault this has happened.

As for mixed sex brackets I don't think they do them in Judo or Freestyle wrestling (If I am wrong apologies) but they have them in tennis but that's a different matter!

F

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

*double post*
    Last edited by Rosi; 03-12-2009 at 06:26 PM.

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    I'm not a fan of mixed sex brackets, it's a shame there aren't enough women entering competitions, it's hardly the UMA's fault this has happened.
    Yes and no. I couldn't have made it this weekend anyway - but having heard how UMA has handled this situation, I don't expect i'll be entering myself or any female competitors in future events.

Ground control, on the other hand, has a reputation for being much more accomodating when there are few female competitors by allowing them to enter the male divisions. This IMO shows a willingness to take the women seriously as athletes, and would make me much more inclined to participate or take other competitors. Other women I've spoken to feel similarly.

The net result - I expect - is that events like ground control will evolve a good female division in it's own right, while UMA may continue to struggle.

Yes and no. I couldn't have made it this weekend anyway - but having heard how UMA has handled this situation, I don't expect i'll be entering myself or any female competitors in future events.

Ground control, on the other hand, has a reputation for being much more accomodating when there are few female competitors by allowing them to enter the male divisions. This IMO shows a willingness to take the women seriously as athletes, and would make me much more inclined to participate or take other competitors. Other women I've spoken to feel similarly.

The net result - I expect - is that events like ground control will evolve a good female division in it's own right, while UMA may continue to struggle.
    We're already getting a good turnout of female competitors to every event now and the standard is pretty amazing.