Thread: The English Open Bjj Championship

Default The English Open Bjj Championship

THE ENGLISH OPEN BJJ CHAMPIONSHIP

6th & 7th NOVEMBER 2010

DARTFORD OLYMPIC JUDO CENTRE
    KENT
    ENGLAND
    UK

Easy transport links from London and all surrounding Airports.

The English Open is an International BJJ Competition open to fighters of all
    belt levels.

Dartford Olympic Judo Centre is the first purpose-built, state-of-the-art world class Judo facility in the UK and is currently being used by the British Judo Association in preparation for the London 2012 Olympics.

wow, I'm there!
    The Dungeon Sunderland / Checkmatt BJJ team

Is this a Carlson run comp? It's very close to the Kent open time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    Is this a Carlson run comp? It's very close to the Kent open time of year.
    The English Open team feel after running a regional competition for two years
    successfully i.e. meeting the customers expectations of what they want from a BJJ Competition we have tested our system and organisational skills.It is now time to expand the competition in the interest of helping the UK BJJ competition scene grow by creating an International Competition that will
    become a fixture in the European Jiu Jitsu diary.
    Kent Olympic Centre is within easy access of Heathrow,Gatwick and Stanstead Airports and it is our aim to cater for international competitors as well as
    everyone from the UK scene.

Thanks guys,we hope to see you on the mat.

awesome.... I think I might just have to enter this one, MMA schedule permitting!

I'm trying to not sound like a bellend here but there seems to be a lack of gi comps in the north, i would've thought the english open would be in the middle of england, to make it better for people from the north to enter.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

Quote Originally Posted by IranianWarMachine View Post
    I'm trying to not sound like a bellend here but there seems to be a lack of gi comps in the north, i would've thought the english open would be in the middle of england, to make it better for people from the north to enter.
    Fair point, but it's tough enough for the organisers to put a comp together, nevermind doing one 200-300 miles away from where they live. Braulio and his team have put on 2 top quality comps in the Midlands where he is based, and Pedro runs the Bristol Open (in Bath last time) from his home base.

Maybe one of the teams further north would like to start doing something as well to fill the gap?

James

Quote Originally Posted by IranianWarMachine View Post
    i would've thought the english open would be in the middle of england, to make it better for people from the north to enter.
    Why would it be in the middle of england?

Surely it would be closest to the highest concentration of BJJ practitioners?

Which meant that it would be easiest for the most competitors, this would the ensure the highest number of entrants possible?

check this link - http://www.slideyfoot.com/2000/01/uk-bjj-club-list.html

I put manchester - in the middle of my screen - there are 17 clubs withing 35 miles.
    Birmingham - 16 within 35
    London - 44 - within 35 miles
    Newcastle - 10 - Within 100 Miles!

So now that weve made it easy for the most, we could try and make it as comfortable for the remainder - parking - access - simple directions - hotels, hostels - good transportlinks. Perfect timetable - did you know this year we shut down for a whole hour to allow those that were stuck in traffic to arrive for their fights? and we still finished on time!

So with making it - as has been said - an International event. International travel links - an easy drive from heathrow, gatwick, stanstead, city. Last year we assisted , teams from hungary and Ireland get to and from the event.

I hope this helps you to see the direction in which this Event is being steered and the reasons behind it.

is this replacing the Kent Open?

Yes.The English Open is the natural progression from National to International
    for the Kent Open.