Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The English Open Bjj Championship

As a Kent open veteran, Im quite excited about this.I only live 20 mins away so I suppose this is my home event. Sounds like a silly question but what difference does it really make what you call the event. Its not like only people from Kent fought in the Kent open, and I fought a Polish bloke in the British open, and at this years Essex open I fought a London boy. Im not trying to be a smart arse, I really do want to know. Obviously moving from Kent open to English open it sounds like a bigger event. Is that what it is, because its the English open, it has more of a pull for fighters?

My question has kinda been answered on EFN. Bigger comp should attract more European competitors, as Europe is a big place this can only be a good thing. So if the Kent open is no more, I guess my Kent Gold medal is now a piece of BJJ history.

The difference between the Kent Open and the English Open is really about the ambition of the organisers. After 2 years of successfully running one of the largest comps in the UK, they have decided to step things up and put on what is undoubtedly going to be one of the biggest comps in Europe.

Personally, as a paying customer, I think that that the Carlson guys and Dave Coles put on the best UK comps I've been too, and I wish them every success in the future.

James

I totally agree. I attended both days this year, it was really well run, and wish them every success. If the comp gets any bigger, they may have to run it over a bank holiday weekend to kep it as smooth as this years.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameBoy View Post
    Why would it be in the middle of england?

Surely it would be closest to the highest concentration of BJJ practitioners?

Which meant that it would be easiest for the most competitors, this would the ensure the highest number of entrants possible?

check this link - http://www.slideyfoot.com/2000/01/uk-bjj-club-list.html

I put manchester - in the middle of my screen - there are 17 clubs withing 35 miles.
    Birmingham - 16 within 35
    London - 44 - within 35 miles
    Newcastle - 10 - Within 100 Miles!

So now that weve made it easy for the most, we could try and make it as comfortable for the remainder - parking - access - simple directions - hotels, hostels - good transportlinks. Perfect timetable - did you know this year we shut down for a whole hour to allow those that were stuck in traffic to arrive for their fights? and we still finished on time!

So with making it - as has been said - an International event. International travel links - an easy drive from heathrow, gatwick, stanstead, city. Last year we assisted , teams from hungary and Ireland get to and from the event.

I hope this helps you to see the direction in which this Event is being steered and the reasons behind it.
    Yeah lets further kill the amount of competitiors in the north in gi comps rather than encourage, just have every comp down south as clearly the north has no one training.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

Quote Originally Posted by IranianWarMachine View Post
    Yeah lets further kill the amount of competitiors in the north in gi comps rather than encourage, just have every comp down south as clearly the north has no one training.
    did you not read my post? Personally, I am trying to encourage BJJ Fullstop.

The lack of clubs or players in any given particular area - is hardly anyones individual fault.

I am really struggling to find some positive words for you, but I have a feeling that whatever I say will just be turned against me.

Quote Originally Posted by FlameBoy View Post
    did you not read my post? Personally, I am trying to encourage BJJ Fullstop.

The lack of clubs or players in any given particular area - is hardly anyones individual fault.

I am really struggling to find some positive words for you, but I have a feeling that whatever I say will just be turned against me.
    I did read your post and you have had no answer to my last comment, oh theres a lack of clubs so we should stick to the south is basically what your saying and that is totally not what bjj is about if britain is to be a bjj stronghold it has to be encouraged across the country not just the south because there are more clubs, maybe more comps in the north or middle of england would encourage more clubs in the north.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

No, Flameboy and any other southern based are not trying to kill the sport in the North, but if you're trying to run one of the biggest comps in the country, and attract European fighters, it currently makes more sense to hold it in the south where there are more clubs and it's closer to mainland Europe. Plus logically, it's far easier for someone to organise a comp local to them, rather then 300 miles away.

The way a sport is encouraged in an area is by local people doing something about it. In the US there was a lack of east coast comps (especially in the DC area) so one local club owner took it upon himself to change that, and now US Grappling run some of the biggest and best organised comps in the whole US. He didn't wait for the IBJJF to get up and do something, he did it himself. Maybe those who think there are too many comps in the south should think about doing the same...

James

Quote Originally Posted by IranianWarMachine View Post
    I did read your post and you have had no answer to my last comment, oh theres a lack of clubs so we should stick to the south is basically what your saying and that is totally not what bjj is about if britain is to be a bjj stronghold it has to be encouraged across the country not just the south because there are more clubs, maybe more comps in the north or middle of england would encourage more clubs in the north.
    It must be frustrataing if there's not many comps near you, but it would be extremely difficult for a club from the south to put on a comp in the north- it just wouldn't make sense. Hopefully more clubs in the north will be putting on comps in the coming years, but it's the northern clubs that need to take the lead on it. As BJJ grows, so will the comp scene in the north, it's just a case of patience and encouraging it to happen faster (as you're doing).
    Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by 6million$man View Post
    It must be frustrataing if there's not many comps near you, but it would be extremely difficult for a club from the south to put on a comp in the north- it just wouldn't make sense. Hopefully more clubs in the north will be putting on comps in the coming years, but it's the northern clubs that need to take the lead on it. As BJJ grows, so will the comp scene in the north, it's just a case of patience and encouraging it to happen faster (as you're doing).
    I understand this he seemed to come in a bit ott with it all tbh, which is why i replied.