Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Female Divisions and Brackets for U.M.A. Events from 2010

Default Female Divisions and Brackets for U.M.A. Events from 2010

Female Divisions and Brackets for U.M.A. Events from 2010

After, listening to what everyone has had to say recently, the U.M.A. have decided to completely re format the Ladies/Female Divisions and Brackets for all our Grappling and Groundfighting Events, both the 'With Gi' and 'No Gi' Formats in and from 2010.

Female Divisions and Brackets from 2010 onwards:

U50kg, U55kg, U60kg, U65kg, O65kg and Absolute.

Lets see what 2010 brings from the Female Fighters here in the UK at the forthcoming U.M.A. Championship Events.
    Web: umauk.co.uk - Facebook: facebook.com/UnitedMartialAlliance - Twitter: twitter.com/UMA_NGB

I'd definately have a go in this comp next year although we need more women to make these categories work! It would be nice to be up against someone your own weight/exp level rather than the usual 'open weight' categories for women.

I think the weights are quite wrong but appreciate the effort of an event trying this.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

Why do you think they are wrong Levo?

There are extra weight barckets now for female competitors, it's now down to the vast numbers of female fighters that are hiding away to come out and fill them up

F

Quote Originally Posted by fishface View Post
    Why do you think they are wrong Levo?

There are extra weight barckets now for female competitors, it's now down to the vast numbers of female fighters that are hiding away to come out and fill them up

F
    Well, don't want to get too involved. But, imo the bottom weight class is too low for a start. I've rolled with a lot of women over the last 10 years, only a couple were -50kg. I'd make 55, or even 60, the bottom depending on what other weights were done. Just saying I'd have picked totally different weights based on experience of people I've rolled with and coached. Good work on making more divisions though, it's certainly a start.

Nathan
    Head Coach at Leicester Shootfighters
    Sponsored by Caged Steel and Empire Fight Shop

Thanks for the explanation Levo

It would be interesting to hear any constructive comments/ideas on weight brackets from the females themselves and what weights you'd like to see in future grappling comps.

F

Rosi Sexton
    Pro Fighter
    Female MMA Mod

I think it would make sense to go with the standard MMA division weights. The more things are brought into line with that the better, and the more easily UK fighters will be able to transition to the international scene.

So perhaps something like -52, -57, -61, +61 if there are enough women to fill them. If there's demand, you can always add -48, and -66, +66 at either end.

The other option would be to use the freestyle wrestling weight classes: -48, -51, -55, -59, -63, -67, -72. Interestingly, at the British wrestling championships there were at least two competitors in each category. Maybe being an olympic sport helps though.
    Looking for injury, rehab or nutrition advice? visit combatsportsclinic.com

Fighting out of Next Generation

Good to get some discussion and deas on here; I'd probably go with the MMA weights as we are more geared to gi and no gi jiu jitsu. I will make sure Jim reads this thread and wait for more females to come on here and see if they agree with the weights you're suggesting Rosi.

F

Hi, I'm new round here. I'm a woman doing no-gi and gi BJJ and Judo and I really want to start competing.

I agree with what Rosi has said about trying to standardise weight classes. Another option would be to go with the weight classes they use in Judo (under 48kg, 48-52kg, 52-57kg, 57-63kg, 63-70kg, 70-78kg and over 78kg), and try to attract women from the Judo world to competitions.

Possibly Killed Micheal Jackson

I think anything with more than -65kg and +65kg would be a bonus and would definitely attract me to competing.

And hello there you, nice to see you here (guess who)