Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rock climbing and bjj

Default rock climbing and bjj

Last year a friend took me climbing for the first time and I loved it indoor and out door , only had a chance to do it a couple of times so far but hope to get into it some more.
    Been a big mma fan iv decided to give bjj a go after the new year.
    I was wondering if anyones mixed them ,no not submisstion at 30ft lol but adding climbing to the fittnes training .
    The type work out climbing is and the muscle groups it works strike me as ideal for bjj
    Looking at the hard core climbers at the indoor wall its all legs , extremly strong and lastinggrip and a core strenth ideal for lifting body wieght from strange angles.
    Just a thought I had on fun way to excersize ?

Hi Jimbob - the Lad that teaches at ' Factory BJJ ' is a avid climber and even recononmended me a tape that he uses for his BJJ and Climbing. Its all in the hands - LOL

I've got a few friends that are into climbing. I'd love to do it but unfortunately i'm not the best with heights. However, I have been using a few exercises that one of them showed me for improving grip strength as I felt this was a weak point when I started BJJ. The exercises appear to be doing the trick.

i know dan hardy used to climb quite regular. don't know if he still does
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

I used to do indoor rock climbing back when I was in school 10+ years ago and remember what a grip workout it was back then! Time for a visit to the nearest indoor rock climbing venue! Thanks for the Re-Inspiration!

I've done some climbing when I was younger (basic standard only). I would say that the attributes would cross over very well- core and grip strength, plus whole body involvement. Something that's 'everything' in climbing, is power to weight ratio. (It's why I don't climb any more ).

have a look at the far wall of the Dojo in the pics at www.cardiffbjj.com

awesome climbing wall and ropes and stuff, gret fun (just hurts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyUUuOyQ21o

Imagine having endurance like this guy in any sport!!???

Quote Originally Posted by ashy51 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyUUuOyQ21o

Imagine having endurance like this guy in any sport!!???
    EARLY GRAVE!

That;s Dan Osman and he did actually die in a climbing accident in 1998 not far from where that video was shot.

Check this kid out. FREAK!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1aSMuXDMQ&feature=fvw