Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The importance of drilling

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    Professor how do you deal with the repetitive nature of driling the same set of techniques for a few lessons on the trot. We do this alot at my camp however the beginners have started to piss and moan about it and have even asked prof bruno why hes doing it and can he show new techniques.. a couple of guys have left and when asked have told me they are not paying for the same techniques over and over again... sad I know but its happening
    One option might be to allow Bruno to smash these beginners then explain the only reason he was able to smash them was because he drilled the techniques A LOT.... Perhaps Bruno should explain to the beginners the importance of drilling etc., being good at few techniques rather than learning loads etc...

I remember at BTT when Ze Marcello was showing us a technique and getting us to drill it he'd say and I quote, to do the technique '1 million times'....

Quote Originally Posted by piratebrido View Post
    Shatners Bassoon.
    see what I mean ?
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    Dickie Martin's classes contain BJJ Uchi Komi drills of BJJ techniques.He teaches BJJ drills as if they are Judo.
    That sounds brilliant. The folks who do that will soon have a huge advantage over the ones who don't I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jogs D View Post
    One option might be to allow Bruno to smash these beginners then explain the only reason he was able to smash them was because he drilled the techniques A LOT.... Perhaps Bruno should explain to the beginners the importance of drilling etc., being good at few techniques rather than learning loads etc...

I remember at BTT when Ze Marcello was showing us a technique and getting us to drill it he'd say and I quote, to do the technique '1 million times'....
    LOL he smashes us all reg lol he also stresses drilling bud we sat for 10 min the one night while Fernando went tough WHY drilling is so important..........but you kno beginners if we cover the same position more than 3 nites on the trot you hear the murmurs fom the novices and sour faces.
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    LOL he smashes us all reg lol he also stresses drilling bud we sat for 10 min the one night while Fernando went tough WHY drilling is so important..........but you kno beginners if we cover the same position more than 3 nites on the trot you hear the murmurs fom the novices and sour faces.
    rjd,

Here is the truth-those guys are never going to get good at BJJ and were never going to stay anyway.They don't have the mentality or the minerals.
    Because they are not prepared to work hard and learn the basics they will never win your team any medals and will always be looking for magic
    and the latest 'You Tube' technique somewhere else.
    It's hard but it's actually better in the long run if they get weeded out early
    and leave.Better now than after Bruno has spent his time and effort teaching them only to have them leave later.
    London is littered with people who left Carlson's and now regret it.
    Their loss.

Simon

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drill for reps
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Agreed. There is no point trying to make everyone stay and keep training. Loads of people do 1-3 lessons, maybe up to two weeks worth, then disappear for whatever reason. Nothing will ever stop this happening.

It's the people who train for a few months then disappear I don't understand.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

drilling is undoubtedly the way forward..

but i feel that it is important t highlight the fact that there re more gifted individuals than others in regards to bjj gi/no gi..

some people simply 'get it' better than others it could be argued that its genetics or natural ability..some may say just plain old hard work..but 'ability' to learn and understand the technique shown is priceless..

for example..we have two guy that train..one is young and dedicated and thinks about training i would say 90% of his normal day..he has god given talent and ability to perform techniques well..

we hve another..training and fighting who requires much more drilling than the later to understnd and do the technique correctly..

so is it natural ability? Dedication? Intellegence? genuine love for what he does? Genetics?

My own opinion..a little bit of them all..

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    rjd,

Here is the truth-those guys are never going to get good at BJJ and were never going to stay anyway.They don't have the mentality or the minerals.
    Because they are not prepared to work hard and learn the basics they will never win your team any medals and will always be looking for magic
    and the latest 'You Tube' technique somewhere else.
    It's hard but it's actually better in the long run if they get weeded out early
    and leave.Better now than after Bruno has spent his time and effort teaching them only to have them leave later.
    London is littered with people who left Carlson's and now regret it.
    Their loss.

Simon
    Very true very true cheers!
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

I would bet almost everyone wishes they did things differently when they first started BJJ, how many of us can say we did much proper drilling in our first 18 months/2 years?
    Celtic Pride Martial Arts, Abertillery, Gwent
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thai Boxing
    Mixed Martial Arts