Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weight Training?

Default Weight Training?

I've started doing two weights sessions a week using simple compound movements. Deadlift, Squat and Bench Press. One session is low weights at high reps (usually 20 reps) in an attempt to increase muscle endurance. The other is high weights at very low reps (usually 3 to 5 reps) with a view to increasing strength.

I've lifted weights in the past but not for quite a while. I've missed it and I enjoy it, that's the main reason I've started lifting again. I'd also like to think it will help my grappling in some way.

Do you do any weight training? If so, what do you do?

Moderator of Love <3

I just push myself to the point where I don't want to type right now because I just got back from the gym, unless I plan on doing something sporting where I limit myself to endurance as endurance tones and strenthens so you can still wipe your own ass and be strong ; )

i'm no expert at all, but wouldn't you see better results periodising your training into a strength building phase and a endurance phase?
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by david5 View Post
    i'm no expert at all, but wouldn't you see better results periodising your training into a strength building phase and a endurance phase?
    Isn't that what he's doing when he does one session for endurance and one session for strength?

no, i'm talking about a block of time where he would only train for strength increase, then a block of time where he would improve his endurance while only maintaining strength
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

I think you should throw another "pulling" movement in there. Happens alot in grapping! weighted pull ups/chin ups

high rep everything making endurance good a lot of free weight explosive training throwing around a heavy bag, lifting it spinning it in the air catching it then squating. Squats in general. I'm gonna get a weighted vest as well and do some sprints and jumping excersises.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    The other is high weights at very low reps (usually 3 to 5 reps) with a view to increasing strength.
    At what % of your 1 RM? In any of the movements.

If your serious about it, do some supplemental exercise for your supporting muscle groups, your body will thank you later down the line!

Quote Originally Posted by bean View Post
    At what % of your 1 RM? In any of the movements.
    I'm really not sure to be honest. I really need to find out what my 1RM is these days.

I just lift 'till I'm fucked. Very technical I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidvoodoo View Post
    I think you should throw another "pulling" movement in there. Happens alot in grapping! weighted pull ups/chin ups
    Good idea that!