Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which would be the better way to spend 129?

129 and it will last. I think its worth it. I have been thinking about getting one myself, or making one and this seems a desent one at the price. Lets say i get to 5 classes a week and can co-ordinate an hours drilling with a sparring partner. I still think that this is not enough drilling. I might learn three new techniques and 3 variations of each during that week and if i dont drill them enough they wont stick and next week my sensei will be on to something new.

I have only been training for 4 months but i am pretty sure i have already forgotten as much as i have remembered and equally sure that every technique i do rememeber can be improved in terms of detail and the speed with which i can move to and through it.

Another thread discussed the importance of drilling and as far as i can tell a training dummy would be an option in the absence of a training partner who can commit to drilling practice at the same times. Just my opinion but then i am also resolved to getting a private lesson every month, so i dont really think its a comparison of one or the other for me. They are different things and I intend to have both unless anyone advises me that the training dummy is counter productive in some way.
    Tap Forged

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    lol don't feel insulted.

I just have a bit of an issue with remembering stuff. I was thinking that to have something like this at home so I can just practice basic technique could be useful.

Whenever I go to buy anything nowadays I always ask myself whether or not the money would be better spent on BJJ privates. I've never had one before but I'd really like to do some as I have so many questions.

I know the answer to the question is to opt for privates, but the only thing that's really stopping me from doing them at the moment is time. I just don't have any right now.
    Make your own. They are inexpensive to make.

How to make a grappling dummy:
    http://thelivingexample.com/eljefe.html

Grappling dummies are rubbish. You won't learn the feel of the technique, because it is VERY different from performing it with a live opponent. (I have tried a few). Also, you'll only be able to perform a few techniques on it, such as armbar from mount. Everything else just won't transfer to a person.

So....it just won't help. BTW, if you train at Carlson's, check out the BJJ Private Classes side bar. Your 129 would buy you two privates, plus a month of training (over 20 hours per month),- and give you some change. If I had the dosh, it's where I'd spend it.

Happy rolling

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

There's a hell of a lot more you can do with a grappling dummy than just arm bars from mount. There's a youtube clip of a very well known BB using a dummy that I'll look for now

Quote Originally Posted by faithsdaddy View Post
    You won't learn the feel of the technique, because it is VERY different from performing it with a live opponent. (I have tried a few).
    That its different from a live opponent is really a mute point. But "won't learn the feel of the technique" ... i dont see why drilling with a dummy wont help me remember the movements.

Quote Originally Posted by faithsdaddy View Post
    Also, you'll only be able to perform a few techniques on it, such as armbar from mount. Everything else just won't transfer to a person.

So....it just won't help.
    I would be surprised if this were true, though i dont have experience of one, i would expect it to be of some help. How much though, i dont know.
    Tap Forged