Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How big is BJJ in brazil

Default How big is BJJ in brazil

Just wondered how big the sport is over there, is it as big as football in the uk.
    do brazilian girls throw themselves at people who practice it, just wondered

I dont know exactly. But iv got one or two brazilian friends (none of which are into MMA) but both know of BJJ. And the gracies. I guess its like in a way common knowledge?

I dont think its on the same scale as football over here tho.
    This is not a gif. It is an actual video of Fedor doing infinate press ups.
    3-0-0

BJJ is kinda a rich kids sport, football a poor persons sport, and folk are mostly poor in Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by TatooineFarmBoy View Post
    BJJ is kinda a rich kids sport, football a poor persons sport, and folk are mostly poor in Brazil
    That's interesting. I have to say that the vast majority of Brazilians I've met who practice BJJ seem to be quite educated and come from very middle class backgrounds. Although I see no reason why it would be a rich kids sport?

It's not something I've ever really thought about before until this thread.

I often make the mistake of thinking every brazilian is aware of BJJ and probably does it, but they don't. Only today I was talking to a Brazilian girl about BJJ and she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

traditionally a rich kid sport because you have to buy a gi.

also BJJ is bigger than football in rio. winners of BJJ comps regularly receive felatio on the podium from supermodels
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

I asked a Brazilian friend from Rio this and he says it's kind of like rugby is in the UK. Big, but not huge and more a sport for the middle class.

He got a blue belt when he was younger before stopping training and he seemed to think that was fairly normal!
    Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

The most hated Gaijin of all

Having been there it is defo a middle class sport.

So don't get in a fight with a rich kid in Rio!
    Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.

Quote Originally Posted by TatooineFarmBoy View Post
    Really i imagined every back street in brazil to have a bjj club

Quote Originally Posted by 6million$man View Post
    So don't get in a fight with a rich kid in Rio!
    Erm actually you are probably safer getting into a fight with a rich kid, than with someone from the favela. Watch the movie "City of God" for some insight.