Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Excessively long warm ups

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

Well I have said it many times before but Paul McVeigh dramatically changed the BJJ warm ups a while ago and it has made a huge difference in terms of people getting injured.

Commonly we would all get in a circle and one person would say an exercise (such as burpees) and we would all do 10, then the next person would say an exercise (pushups!) then we would do 10. This goes on round the circle.

Good for fitness, but now we all do isometric stretches of the intoerior posterior shatners bosoon or some shit, and injury rates are now very low.

Quote Originally Posted by piratebrido View Post
    but now we all do isometric stretches of the intoerior posterior shatners bosoon or some shit, and injury rates are now very low.
    I don't know what that is, but does it make you sweat and warm you up?

Does it for us **flex** piratebrido's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    Just fucking sore.

Lying on your back, knees together, feet on the floor then walking your feet out but keeping your knees together is, frankly, a cunts move. I hate Paul for making me do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
    me neither, sounds like Pilates

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Flame Boy: yeah I agree it is hard to get a class to please everyone. As I say the main issue I have is being able to plan as much as possible in advance. I am personally going to try and do some serious running, I think it is the only way to get really get fit. If I know in advance a class is going to contain lots of cardio, then I will not run earlier that day. Yup believe it or not there was a time I used to run and do BJJ on the same day and live (does seem a long time agO)

Anyway to make myself feel better been searching for more fatboy videos. If ya didnt have some fatboys training and competing you would never get to see thing of beauty like this shoulder throw on Zulu by Minowa. Awsome, did not believe was possible to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pByvvxXbs9U

at 5:39, can skip through the early part of the video they jsut run around alot. ERM right that is enough youtube for one day back to work now.

just fight thats a good warm up

I'm not a fan of long warm ups, with long rounds of sit ups, etc. I do think that stretching is an often overlooked component of a warm up though. 15 mins is EASILY enough time to warm up, 10 at a pinch.

I love the shrimping, tumbling, etc- which we do as part of the warm up. We always do loads when Walid takes the class. I feel like a kid playing

Sounds good ... im getting on a bit, i need to warm up properly otherwise i cant train as often as i want to. Recently I have been trying to integrate a bit of grapplers toolbox into my warm ups when i can, strengthen the joints over time as well as warm them before class. I trained for a bit in sambo and the coach was well into proper warm ups and he was very thorough, i thought it was excellent and given that it was a punishing 3 hour class, well needed.
    Tap Forged

Quote Originally Posted by piratebrido View Post
    Well I have said it many times before but Paul McVeigh dramatically changed the BJJ warm ups a while ago and it has made a huge difference in terms of people getting injured.

Commonly we would all get in a circle and one person would say an exercise (such as burpees) and we would all do 10, then the next person would say an exercise (pushups!) then we would do 10. This goes on round the circle.

Good for fitness, but now we all do isometric stretches of the intoerior posterior shatners bosoon or some shit, and injury rates are now very low.
    I'm glad that circle jerk warm up stopped before I started training BJJ. With 30 in the class some nights that shit would take forever. I like the isoflexion hip rotator glute activationy warm ups we do now. I don't ever suffer any injuries from strains/not being warmed up and it seems to me that drilling and rolling should be the cardio aspect anyway.

I did like the warm up Gaz did the other week there. We all sat around talking for 5 minutes (a couple of people did some half hearted stretching and jumping up and down) then he stood up and said "right, fuck it guys, we might as well get started".

Quote Originally Posted by creonte View Post
    frens maybe teacher he think there few guys who fat an not work hard enough?
    brill, just brill ha ha