Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Excessively long warm ups

Quote Originally Posted by creonte View Post
    frens maybe teacher he think there few guys who fat an not work hard enough?
    If he thinks someone needs to lose weight the he should make them spar for longer or at least drill throws and takedowns.

it depends on what you mean by warm ups. were i train, a grappling warm ups is maybe 5-10 mins of jogging (forward backwards sideways whilst lowering your level, rotating the arms ect) and then 5-10 mins of drills (sprinting down the matt, duck walking, sprawls shoots, forward rolles backward rolles, shrimping ect) and then maybe 5 more mins of pummelling and fighting for underhooks then finnish with bridging before moving onto drilling techniques. everything in the warm up i mentioned directly improve your grappling so i tend not to think of it as a boring chore that needs to be gotten over with. i try and improve my technique everytime i warm up.

i can see your point if your just doing endless press ups and crunches but even then in a fight your not only fighting your opponent, your also fighting against your own body. condition is just as important as no one wants to be a looser because he ran out of steam.
    theres a philosophy with alot of coaches that techniques should be learned when your warn out as your going to be fighting warn out so if you can do it right when your nackerd in training you will dothe same in a fight.

I would consider drilling to be entirely different to a warm-up, although drilling can be used as a warm-up!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

i think fatties should only do warm ups until they are fit enough to roll for 30 mins without gassing. (6x 5 mins rounds)

I rolled with this fat sweaty bastard the other week who was sweating and breathing like a snuffling pig. its disgusting, No Gi would have killed him. Fat fucks dont realise BJJ is a sport !

this shit happens in Boxing, if your fat , lose it !

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Warm-up for lazy bastards;

Turning up late = 5mins
    Chatting with desk staff/another lazy bastard = 5mins
    Getting changed REALLY slowly = 2-3mins
    Tieing belt REALLY slowly = 2-3mins
    Lmao that used to be me but i've changed O:=) i love warm up's now
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post
    i think fatties should only do warm ups until they are fit enough to roll for 30 mins without gassing. (6x 5 mins rounds)

I rolled with this fat sweaty bastard the other week who was sweating and breathing like a snuffling pig. its disgusting, No Gi would have killed him. Fat fucks dont realise BJJ is a sport !

U really hate fat dudes lol
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

I HATE warming up. Only because I smoke and so by the time it comes to drill techniques I'm gassed and cant take in the subtleties of the techniques properly. Not that I expect owt to change in the classes tho - it's my problem and if it was that important to me I'd stop smoking.

The other point about having no gas tank is that I always want to spar with someone of similar skill, weight and size first because after that first roll I'm so fcuked that I just try to lay & pray my other sparring partners.

Warm-ups are fine but classes designed to improve cardio shud be billed as that - a warm-up in my eyes isnt designed to improve cardio (although it might help) - it is designed to warm your muscles - 1O minutes shud be sufficient or with a very large class 20 mins but no longer. just my uneducated opinion tho....

" if your fat , lose it !" Being fat worked pretty well for this guy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dMHxeCdpFs

Also BJJ is NOT just a sport, it is also self defense. You should have techniques that work against all oponents even fatties. (too many whiny midgets in BJJ these days who cry if ya just sit on them for a bit)

Quote Originally Posted by r-v View Post
    U really hate fat dudes lol
    there is no excuse for it mate

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Bateman View Post

LOL So do you think fat fuckers should lose the weight before they step into the dojo?

Training just so you can train doesn't make sense to me.

I admire fat people who enter the gym/dojo. It takes guts to do it. I lose respect for them if they don't stick with it and just disappear though.