Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Excessively long warm ups

Judo as a warm up is always cool, if done correctly by the right instructor!!!

Personally, I like warm-ups where the movements are directly related to BJJ. With that kind of warm-up, I don't mind if it's a bit longer, though 15 mins would be enough for me.

E.g, standing up in guard repeatedly, or working your abs by reaching up for a triangle over and over again, or having one person escape side control, go to their knees, take the other person down, then they escape to their knees and repeat the cycle. Lots of other things you could do in that vein.

Then there are the usual BJJ exercises, like shrimping, bridging, standing up in base etc.

I find that preferable to sit-ups, press-ups etc, as it warms you up just as well while being a lot more applicable to BJJ. You can also modify common exercises to become BJJ specific: for example, instead of sit-ups, drilling cross-chokes in a similar motion, or reaching to the side for a sit-up sweep with a partner.

In my opinion, doing 100's of press-ups, sit-ups etc is not a warm-up, it is muscular endurance training which can be done outside of the BJJ lesson.

The warm-up should consist of:

1) pulse raiser - light jogging, jumping jacks etc

2) mobilising - head side to side, shoulder rotations

3) activity specific - e.g. if you are doing throws then do some rolling breakfalls. Do a few lengths of shrimping. This section can include light drilling.

Stretching (flexibility) is a component of fitness, often confused with mobilising, it should not be part of the warm-up. Stretching should be carried out AFTER a thorough warm-up. You should warm-up to stretch, not stretch to warm-up.

Flexibility work should be done outside of the BJJ lesson. If you want to get more flexible go to a yoga class, don't waste your BJJ mat time working on it.

Agree with Dave Coles.

I am using Judo uchi-komi (repetitive entries to throws without throwing) as
    a sports specific warm up,so the guys muscle memory subliminally picks up the movements of Judo and makes everyone aware of standing grips etc.
    But what i would say is that i do it as pulse raiser and a mobiliser as Dave says.

Stretching cold is insane.Its very likely to injure you.

Forward rolls, I detest them.

I never do them right and I always wake up the next morning with a really sore neck. I no longer do them anymore. I just stand to one side and wait for another exercise.

Love shrimping. I find it really useful to do over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    Stretching cold is insane.Its very likely to injure you.
    personally i find i am injured much less if i stretch before warming up. there is some evidence to suggest cold stretching has no effect on injury rates, although like most of sports science there's a lot of contrary evidence.
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Old Scratch View Post

I never do them right and I always wake up the next morning with a really sore neck. I no longer do them anymore. I just stand to one side and wait for another exercise.

Love shrimping. I find it really useful to do over and over.
    you should be rolling over your shoulder not doing a roly poly over your neck dude
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

Quote Originally Posted by Old Scratch View Post

1. Avoiding something isn't going to be of any benefit to you.

2. Just ask someone to show you how to do it.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Stretching does seem to be a bit of a black art. I reckon a quick sort-of-cold stretch on the main muscles but not going crazy trying to really extend the stretch, then "mobilize" and get the body warm, then stretch again and actually try to extend the stretch a bit. Well something like that. edit: ok I really not an expert on stretching.

Hope I did not offend too much with my original post, actually I do appreciate the improtance of a cardio "motivational" style instructor for increasing general fitness for some sessions. In my ideal world I would know which sessions they were going to be, yeah I know the world aint ideal always.
    Last edited by TatooineFarmBoy; 18-12-2009 at 02:23 AM.

If your instructor is trying to make sure that everyone gets a minimum of conditioning is a bit tired before they start sparring it can be a good thing to have a long warm up. Especially for those who don't have the time or will power to do extra training. It ensures everyone is getting a degree of conditioning. It is always very easy to find fault with what the instructor is doing. When you try and run a few classes you'll find it can get to be a problem pleasing everyone. I do think that drilling techniques can be done as part of the warm up and conditioning so as to kill two birds with one stone.