Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Jones Junior breaks his silence: Danny Green cheated

Default Roy Jones Junior breaks his silence: Danny Green cheated

By G. Leon

RJ believes Hopkins fight is still viable! "I'd rather lose fair than win cheating!"

GL: Can you give us some thoughts on the Danny Green fight and tell us what went wrong?

Roy Jones, Jr.: Nothing really went wrong. I peaked a little early on training camp number 1. But along with that, they allowed him to wrap his hands two hours earlier and they allowed him to use stuff that they not supposed to use. The gauze that you use isn't supposed to have no adhesive nothing on it, you know what I mean? They first try to give me a pair of used gloves, I said, 'how am I going to fight in used gloves?' Then they gave me new gloves and by then we saw how they was wrapping his hands and we were complaining because from what we're used to this is illegal. They said no, you're not fighting in used gloves now so we're going to let his hands stay wrapped just the way they are. Then he hits you with a shot behind the head with a cast on, I'm a fighter, pound for pound one of the best, but you can't hit me in the back of the head with a baseball bat and think it won't do something to me. You know what I'm saying? Once again I tried to go out there and be nice about it, but once again, now I know that I don't go out of the country.

GL: So you're saying his hand wraps were illegal and the boxing authorities out there let it ride?

Roy Jones Jr: Yeah, and they told me if I didn't come out they were going to disqualify me. How am I not going to come out with 20,000 people there to watch me fight? Cause he got a cast on? Nah, that's not my style.

GL: Did you wrap your hands with extra gauze once you learned about that?

RJJ: "Nope. I couldn't. It was too late, I didn't know and they were really trying to keep him away from me and if I would have known I would have done the same thing I did with the Jeff Lacy fight, let me wrap my hands the same way and I'm cool with it."

GL: How long before the fight were you in Austrailia for?

RJJ: "10 days."

GL: I was hearing that it was very hard for you to get sparring partners out there. Is that true?

RJJ: "Yeah, it was difficult to get them there, they just tried to jam us up in the airport and make it hard for em, but it was okay. From there onwards, I knew what was going on, but what was I going to do? I wasn't going to pull out of it because that's not my thing. I didn't want to let all those people down. I wanted to give them a good performance. I'd rather lose fair than win cheating, that's just not my style. I'm not going to complain, he won and he did what he had to do and I understand that, now next time when I go back, I'm going to be putting a cast on too, because I know they'll let me fight with it. It's part of the game it happens, next time we'll just go cast for cast. And there is a rematch clause in there and next time I'll wear a cast too."

GL: Is it an immediate rematch clause?

RJJ: "No, he can take an interim fight first."

GL: Did you view the fight on tape, if so what are your thoughts on the stoppage?

RJJ: "Well, they stopped it too quick. When the referee stopped it I said, 'whatcha doing? If you was gonna stop it, stop it when I went down, don't stop it now?' I know he was getting tired and I knew from the fight in Biloxi, MS that he wasn't a great finisher because he hurt a dude down there and couldn't put him away. I said I got him now, he's wasting all of this energy and he can't finish me. He only landed two shots after I got up, uppercuts and they didn't bother me at all, I figured he was getting ready to wear himself out and this fight wasn't going to last as long as I thought it was. Then the ref stopped the fight, I know it was a premature stoppage, but you're in the country where they're going to do what they want to do and there's not much you can do about it. Now I know what they can do, I know the tactics they use, I know you can use a cast, so next time I'll just have me a cast on and we'll be ready to go.

Read the rest here

http://www.boxingtalk.com/pag/article.php?aid=18877

lol at this, he left his guard down and got cracked, its his fault.
    "My whole life is an epic journey man, I mean who else do you know that listens to Enya whilst taking a dump?"

Did he get KOd or lose on points?
    This is not a gif. It is an actual video of Fedor doing infinate press ups.
    3-0-0

Destroyed in the 1st round.
    "My whole life is an epic journey man, I mean who else do you know that listens to Enya whilst taking a dump?"

I didnt watch the fight like, but it seems a little like hes looking for excuses.

I understand that a KO loss COULD be something to do with wrapping etc. (not that i belive it makes a huge difference)

If he had lost on points and simply got outboxed i would of just laughed at this feeble BJ Penn-esque excuse.
    3-0-0

nah he got cracked with a nice punch behind the ear and then green followed up with a barrage of punches.

Meh, think Roy was better. Anything can happen in fighting tho.
    3-0-0

It did have a hint of back of the head punching and I didn't know what to take out of the performance.

I agree anything can happen with fighting. the adhesive isnt allowed because it hardens and its basically like getting hit a LOT harder. Just for the people thinking that it wouldnt make that much difference. it does, the boxing association had a responsibility and they never did their job.

However, Roy is an unbeleievable fighter and one of my favourites, but in this fight his classic left arm down stance showed that he underestimated green as a fighter and he didnt give him the respect he was due. He was in the wrong and he was punished for it.

To be honest once he was knocked down he had no chance at all as he was like bambi on ice when he stood up, his legs where all over, green spotted this and rained a hail of punches 8/10 of which were well calculated and made good contact.

He deserved the win imo and Roy should just be a man, take something away from the experience, face up to the fact he caused it, move on and better himself, rather than make excuses.