Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: kick or normal box?

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

Kick boxing/Muat Thai is overrated for MMA. Effective kicks aren't easy to land and can be risky, as you give up you base. Low kicks are easier to land, but less effective. They are a weapon of attirition, to slow your opponent down over time.

I have considered western boxing much more effective for MMA for a long time and stil do. Although I encourage fighters to learn how to kick properly, a) so it's in their arsenal and b) because the motion of a good thai dtae gives superb flexibility to the hips which aides ground work and boxing

*to add, I have 8+ years experience of pure Muay Thai, a red kurang ruang and an instructors grade, so I speak from an educated position*
    Last edited by ReD_mIst; 05-01-2010 at 09:32 AM.

excellent posts from Simon...couldnt have put it better

and agree Lawson brothers are excellent martial artists.

Agree wit Red Mist - Kickboxing and Muay Thai are a little wrong for MMA, you leave lots of holes where you can be taken down etc. Thai has excellent kicks and if you can alter the way you kick you would be onto a winner, also Thai has excellent shin checks for blocking..............( I have over 20 years experience in Muay Thai so............)
    Why does it hurt so much????????

In an ideal world i'd love to see a TKD/MT/boxing background striker in mma, man that would be nasty oh wait there was....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjHxQl-KwEs
    I think it is imperrative if someone wants to MMA they need Muay Thai especially the dutch style, mixed with boxing, so they can defend low kicks and put together solid combos set up with the hands, and basically out box their opponent more often than not, as it is seen the weakness in 90% of top org fighters is the boxing.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

dutch style isnt muay thai per say....

Im not knocking it - but dont overlook the proper thai style - the clinch and elbows of the thais are miles better than any of the dutch guys

the key is in an adaptable instuctor

say Phil (nurse) he is a student of traditional thai, and teaches it that way however he knows how to adapt, i.e length the stance a little etc etc, GSP and J Jones both seem to be able to use it ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Yak View Post
    dutch style isnt muay thai per say....

Im not knocking it - but dont overlook the proper thai style - the clinch and elbows of the thais are miles better than any of the dutch guys

the key is in an adaptable instuctor

say Phil (nurse) he is a student of traditional thai, and teaches it that way however he knows how to adapt, i.e length the stance a little etc etc, GSP and J Jones both seem to be able to use it ok.
    But the dutch guys use better combos and better boxing, which is why their style triumphs with smaller gloves.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

Man cro-cop looked like a completely different fighter in those highlights seemed loads more aggressive and confident!

I like kickboxing and Muay thai and think the differences are vast but there are some v.good kickboxing bouts out there and some talented, exciting fighters.

As for Muay thai in mma the only technique you see used regulary is kicking as said before the chance of getting taken down is there so a lower base is required.....unless your anderson silva then you just neck tie and knee the shit out of who ever you want ha

I think that as long as you have a solid overall skill set in MMA, then you can be more flashy with your stand up like Anderson Silva.

He has excellent Take-down defense and guard so Isn't really frightend of being taken down. This means he has the confidence to throw some wicked Thai combo's (although his boxing is superb aswell)
    Oharra's treachery has disgraced us!

www.klfmartialarts.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

plenty of thais can fight that way too ;-) - why limit yourself ? surely have more in your arsenal than left hook right low kick - not that isnt effective but why not have more tools in the box so to speak - especially when in a lot of cases people are just learning adapted kickboxing or what is termed 'dutch style'

i.e look at thais such as

Anuwat Kaesamrit

or current 'hooligan' Porsanae - who smash's people in with leg kicks - yet hes only ever learnt 'proper' muaythai

just depends on the fighter

Id would say learn proper thai - and adapt it to your game... which coaches such as Phil Nurse do

and as pointed out above someone like anderson silva does in fights

just IMO
    Last edited by Yak; 15-01-2010 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza View Post
    Hi i am wondering about this forum can it be used for my kickboxing disscusions and questions aswell as boxing?
    also i would like to know what people thoughts on american kickboxing? as some people hate it some love it.
    Just a thought but why don't you have a look and see what's the best club in your area?

Be it Boxing, Kick Boxing, Thai?

Then go train there.

It's probably a futile argument saying which style you should learn if there is no club in the area.
    Oharra's treachery has disgraced us!

www.klfmartialarts.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]