Our Guarantee

All competitors will get a minimum of two fights

75% of competitors will get a minimum of three fights

The junior categories will be completed and the medals presented by 1.00pm

The senior categories will be completed and the medals presented by 5.30pm

We will provide bleacher seating for 300+ spectators

A warm-up area will be provided for the competitors

The competitors list will be posted online at least 5 days before the event

Hard copies of the brackets will be displayed on the day of the event.

Results will be posted online within 24 hours of the event.

For full details and online entry go to http://www.thecombatacademy.com/BJJComp.html

Fighter and Coach Comments from the first Hereford Open (06/12/09)

Chris Rees (Gracie Barra Swansea) 'The competition was superbly run as always and really set the benchmark once again. Organisation, communication and overall professionalism were excellent as I've come to expect from the Hereford comps.'

Lee B (Alliance UK) 'This was our first event and we all had a great time, was good to meet some of the other uk bjj guys and me and the team will certainly be back.
    Thanks Dave for a great day and congratulations to all the competitors.'

Mark P (Gracie Barra Mansfield) 'it was the first BJJ comp for our guys and they all really enjoyed it. A nice friendly atmosphere from everybody there, and was also nice to see the coaches from the opponents coming over and congratulating each others fighters no matter what the outcome of the fight and passing on compliments.'

Rob T (Gracie Barra Swansea) 'This was a great event, run to the same high standards as all previous Combat Academy events... I am still to experience one running late (and I've been to a lot).'

Nick Brookes (RGA Mill Hill) 'Once again Dave Coles And the Hereford team have shown how its done, One of the best events I have been to. Efficient in every way.'

Gareth (Straight Blast Gym) 'Awesome day! another well organized comp! well worth the trip up from Plymouth.

Ade (Gracie Barra Swansea) 'great day I really enjoyed myself, coming back in Feb.'

Richard Shore (Tillery Combat) 'Excellent comp. . . . . all my lads had between 3 and 6 fights . . . . . cant wait for the next one'

Mark (Renegades Jiu Jitsu) 'Thank you for running a great comp, although I didn't win a medal i had a great day. The atmosphere was relaxed and well organized. This was my first comp and i will be returning in February!'

Simon (Carlson Gracie Revolution Team) 'It is no surprise that THE HEREFORD OPEN has been so superbly organised by them with results posted as the organisers are still sitting on tables at the event. If this is the future for customers at UKBJJ competitions then the future is bright. The Combat Academy are setting standards of excellence.'

Scuba (Gracie Barra Swansea) 'The guys from the Combat Academy put on yet another excellent competition. This was their first full BJJ comp with 3 mats running and not only did it all look professional, as per usual it all ran to time.'

Pete O'Shea (Carlson Gracie BJJ Revolution Team) 'It was a fantastic competition so well organised and really friendly. I made lots of new friends on the day and the atmosphere was superb. A great experience and I look forward to coming back in February. Thanks again for a superb day out.'
    Last edited by dave coles; 16-01-2010 at 05:00 PM.

Really enjoy the comps you guys put on, went to the last open and the no-gi back in October. One thing I would like to ask is; please can the coaches be allowed into the warm-up area to help us warm up this time? I ended up having to retire after my second fight due to a popped rib at the last open and looking back I feel this was probably down to my warm up or lack of. As a white belt I still haven't got my self warm up sorted to a decent level as yet and would really appreciate the help of my coaches during this important phase of the preparation. How do you guys feel about that?? cheers again for putting on excellent comps..

Quote Originally Posted by Gdyne View Post
    Really enjoy the comps you guys put on, went to the last open and the no-gi back in October. One thing I would like to ask is; please can the coaches be allowed into the warm-up area to help us warm up this time? I ended up having to retire after my second fight due to a popped rib at the last open and looking back I feel this was probably down to my warm up or lack of. As a white belt I still haven't got my self warm up sorted to a decent level as yet and would really appreciate the help of my coaches during this important phase of the preparation. How do you guys feel about that?? cheers again for putting on excellent comps..
    We will try and sort something out for you.

The reason we stop anyone other than fighters from going 'mat side' of the barrier is we do not want is groups of people stood right at the edge of the mat screaming and shouting and obstructing the view of the paying spectators, or getting in the way of the table staff.

The problem is once one person/coach starts coaching from any where other than the designated area they are quickly joined by several others.

Not saying this would happen if your coach was just helping warm you up, but almost guarantee that others would start moaning if one coach was allowed where they were not!!

Quote Originally Posted by dave coles View Post
    We will try and sort something out for you.

The reason we stop anyone other than fighters from going 'mat side' of the barrier is we do not want is groups of people stood right at the edge of the mat screaming and shouting and obstructing the view of the paying spectators, or getting in the way of the table staff.

The problem is once one person/coach starts coaching from any where other than the designated area they are quickly joined by several others.

Not saying this would happen if your coach was just helping warm you up, but almost guarantee that others would start moaning if one coach was allowed where they were not!!

Hi Dave,

I can fully appreciate your position and see your points clearly, if you could come up with something for the next one I am sure, with some sensible management, a balance could be achieved. From attending the gi and no-gi last year I know how seriously you guys take these comps and how details like these make the difference.
    If you could come up with something I know I people like myself who have only been training for around 6 months etc would have the confidence to go into a fight knowing at least their bodies are fully warmed up.

Thanks again Dave, looks like for the next one in Feb there will be more of us guys from SBG southwest coming up to attend.. thanks again

Gareth SBG southwest

sorry sounds a bit formal that.. bit early for me.. :-)

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

how about an under 65 junior division Dave?

Quote Originally Posted by shakus maximus View Post
    how about an under 65 junior division Dave?
    you are too old for that Shakey

weights are as per IBJJF, but if we had enough -65 we could look at a separate category.

IIRC in December we had 2 or 3 who were under 65 and one other junior weighing 80kg ish

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

thats why i asked mate
    there will be a few from my place under 65

hopefully i'll be sub 100 kg by this one

We are delighted to announce that once again http://www.black-eagle.co.uk/
    will be sponsoring our event, providing prizes of Black Eagle BJJ Gi's and some Event T-shirts.

We would like to thank http://www.black-eagle.co.uk/ for their continued support.