Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drills to improve punching power

Hybrid View

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Default Drills to improve punching power

Just wondered if anyone knew any good drills or anythign else to improve punching power? Thanks
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Theres a few good ideas on ross training using isometrics before power punching heavy bag, building rotational strength in the core etc. .

I put a thread up a while back "increased hand speed " which Ian Butlin and others added some great input, i will try and find it.

RossBoxing/Training is a great site, if anyone is an XL I have a Ross boxing Warrior Tshirt "new" , I can send them. First one to PM me your address gets it.

If you need a friend, get a dog !
    http://www.PositiveAggression.co.uk/

Pro Fighter
    self-appointed boss of the forum

As hinted at by Bateman. Punching power is the result of increased speed.

I believe the equation is speed x distance = force or Speed/distance = force.... someone more scientific can confirm

Speed is typically the result of good technique and (as you are a guitarist) you know, to develop speed you need to perfect the technique slowly and build up. So focus on the correct technique, slowly speed it up, stay relaxed, breath and power will come.

There are exceptions to the rule. Some people who are blessed with power... they can generate devastating KO power, without the perfect technique... I have met maybe 3-4 who really fell into this catagory

Resident Hippy Mod CraigSt.Clair's Avatar

Cheers lads I'll have look for that thread Bateman that sounds exactly what I'm after!

Yeah I'm guessing treat it like alternate and sweep picking? Start slow perfect it and speed it up?
    http://www.facebook.com/craig.st.clair666 ME

"That was how i got my first soapy titwank!
    Listening is cool and shit." BlackdogMMA

Quote Originally Posted by ReD_mIst View Post
    As hinted at by Bateman. Punching power is the result of increased speed.

I believe the equation is speed x distance = force or Speed/distance = force.... someone more scientific can confirm

Speed is typically the result of good technique and (as you are a guitarist) you know, to develop speed you need to perfect the technique slowly and build up. So focus on the correct technique, slowly speed it up, stay relaxed, breath and power will come.

There are exceptions to the rule. Some people who are blessed with power... they can generate devastating KO power, without the perfect technique... I have met maybe 3-4 who really fell into this catagory
    F=ma
    Force = mass x acceleration

So yes, if your punch has a higher acceleration then the force is greater.
    Speed = Distance / Time Nothing to do with force there.

Another way of looking at it is Power = (Force x Distance)/Time
    As the time it takes to complete the movement becomes less, the power becomes more. Force x Distance = Work.

It may be better to look at this from a sports science perspective.
    Power = The combination of strength and speed

Therefore you can be very strong but have no power. You can also be very fast and have no power. You have to combine them both.

"Punching power is the result of increased speed."
    True, but you also need to increase strength too.

Just thought I'd be the geek and confirm that. ;P

Quote Originally Posted by Matt The Giant View Post
    F=ma
    Force = mass x acceleration
    F=ma is about the resultant acceleration if you apply a force F to a mass a.

For the 'power' of a punch you probably want momentum = velocity * mass or kinetic energy = 1/2*mass*(velocity^2)

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurning View Post
    F=ma is about the resultant acceleration if you apply a force F to a mass a.

For the 'power' of a punch you probably want momentum = velocity * mass or kinetic energy = 1/2*mass*(velocity^2)
    "F=ma is about the resultant acceleration if you apply a force F to a mass a." It was a rudimentary example to begin with, hence my second example, but you could argue it is still applicable seeing as an object (fist) traveling with a certain acceleration at a certain mass will give "x" force. The acceleration is taking into account an initial velocity of zero and a final velocity of more than zero, therefore acceleration can be used.
    Or I may be wrong, if so I'd happily listen to why (mind u, may be best via pm to save the others).

And yeh I meant to include kinetic energy but forgot.
    Kinetic is probably the best you are right, seeing as it is the channelling of kinetic energy that causes a lot of damage, or so I believe. However, in sports science they use that description of power, which fitted better with the power formula I gave.

But let's not let this devolve into a physics debate. ;P

**NSFW**
    Paul Jenkins
    Pro Fighter

Also, never underestimate a padman or trainer with a good eye.
    I've had guys talk the arseholes out of technique, tried to correct too many things at one, expected too much too soon etc but Gary Pemberton at Cardiff YMCA was just a one word answer to every punch.
    Take the jab for example...

No
    No
    No
    No
    YES !

Then he'd give you a moment for your body to 'remember' what it did right, slowly inbed it over time and you'd just go looking for that 'yes' again.
    A good trainer in a shack is worth 1000 shiney new gyms and 'shortcut' training drills. Everything else is suplimentary.

The Hands
    "Try masturbating during a thunderstorm. Seriously. It makes you feel like Thor."

Here Come Da Pain......

www.dogsofwar.info

Quote Originally Posted by Hands Of Stone View Post
    A good trainer in a shack is worth 1000 shiney new gyms and 'shortcut' training drills. Everything else is suplimentary.

The Hands
    The end .
    if you think its easy stop now

no one achieved anything by doing nothing

never argue with a fool

if fighting is a pursuit rooted in pain, you will find the best teachers have often absorbed the most punishment themselves......and remained standing

http://www.twitter.com/marcgoddard_uk