Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The final word of Rashad Evans' BB for Rolles himself

There's going to be an interview with Rolles about that on the Fightworks Podcast too, according to this.

In my opinion there SHOULD be No-Gi grades. God knows there are guys in the UK who are up there. Guys like Leigh Remedios and Nathan Leveton etc. should certainly be able to gain that "Belt/Shirt" whatever, as a symbol of the skill, hardwork, and love for the art. Also these guys are coaches in there own right and there will be a time when they are older or maybe coaching and teaching is their only concern. No they don't NEED it, but if it exists, they certainly SHOULD get it.

Simon.
    Last edited by simonjkd; 08-01-2010 at 04:30 PM.
    Sponsored By www.faixarua.net

just saw a quote from Rezo in this

Speaking via GracieFighter.com, Renzo said:

“It was a recognition from Rolles that Rashad should compete in the highest categories of gi-less grappling competitions. In the Gi-less World Championships for example you cannot compete in the Blackbelt division no matter how long you've been grappling unless a certified instructor gives you a belt for that division.”

“Can I say that Rashad has worked his way up in the correct belt order with a gi? Of course not and I don't think as a pro fighter he will be doing gi tournaments anytime soon. I differentiate between gi and gi-less and apparently Rolles found him ready for the belt in gi-less. I don’t think you should give someone a belt in a locker room. Not sure if that was Rolles’ idea.”

To be honest, my opinion is this, how can you be a black belt in no Gi if you DONT wear a belt in no Gi?, no gi is a variation/sub aspect of BJJ, so the belt system should be applied to the gi only, you dont really hear of no gi tae kwon do or karate black belts do you?, but you could do any martial art without the propper kit on, but to be graded it should be traditional.

To gain a belt dont you have to be able to perform techniqes to the required level of skill expected by your instructor and do so seamlessly and fluidly?, if Rashad is a BJJ black belt and fights in a BJJ match at black belt level how do you think he would do? ive never really seem much of his jiu jitsu in his mma fight?
    Last edited by C_S_R; 08-01-2010 at 05:47 PM.

edited as i have now read the interview.

rolles said he is a no-gi jiu jitsu black belt.
    it was rogan who got it wrong then i guess.
    Last edited by markjitsu; 09-01-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.

Quote Originally Posted by C_S_R View Post
    just saw a quote from Rezo in this

To be honest, my opinion is this, how can you be a black belt in no Gi if you DONT wear a belt in no Gi?, no gi is a variation/sub aspect of BJJ, so the belt system should be applied to the gi only, you dont really hear of no gi tae kwon do or karate black belts do you?, but you could do any martial art without the propper kit on, but to be graded it should be traditional.

To gain a belt dont you have to be able to perform techniqes to the required level of skill expected by your instructor and do so seamlessly and fluidly?, if Rashad is a BJJ black belt and fights in a BJJ match at black belt level how do you think he would do? ive never really seem much of his jiu jitsu in his mma fight?
    It's very confusing.

A No-Gi BJJ blackbelt is almost a oxymoron.

Does this mean when Rashad retires and opens a gym he can advertise himself as a BJJ blackbelt?

So you can just exclusively concentrate on wrestling or sambo for 10 years and then take 2 years of BJJ training NO-Gi and get a BJJ blackbelt? Something seems wrong with that picture because people but alot of time and money into earning a BJJ blackbelt. I think the danger is, it may diminish the value of the belt as this starts to happen more frequently.
    Last edited by BruceLeeMMAfighting.net; 09-01-2010 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    We have it!

Check out more of what he has to say on it here:

http://www.mmaunltd.com/news/details...black-belt.htm

You can also see a Q&A we have with Rolles regarding his upcoming bout with Mostapha Al Turk at UFC 109 here:
    It almost sounds like Rashad did zero Gi training.

From what I see, Rolles doesn't say so but he avoids answering that question instead saying they trained No-Gi.

i think gradings in no-gi bjj is a good idea after all it wld make match up alot fairer and im sure more advandced guys wld agree as far as it being a belt why not as it still wld hold the same meaning, it wld be easier to keep the belt gradings and be presented with a belt instead of a shirt imo
    KETTERING SHOOTFIGHTERS, semi pro 1-1-0

No gi bjj grades are retarded. Bjj heavily involves training in the gi, there is no separate art of no gi bjj. If you don't want to train with the gi fine bit you should not be wanting a grade in bjj
    Yo Rashad - do you want fries with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    No gi bjj grades are retarded. Bjj heavily involves training in the gi, there is no separate art of no gi bjj. If you don't want to train with the gi fine bit you should not be wanting a grade in bjj
    I agree 100%

he doesn't say no gi bjj - he says no gi jiu jitsu, which to me = submission wrestling.
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.