Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The final word of Rashad Evans' BB for Rolles himself

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

i always thought no gi jui jitsu was lutra livre or am i missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by shakus maximus View Post
    i always thought no gi jui jitsu was lutra livre or am i missing something?
    Man, saying that sort of thing leads to fights on the beach!!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    he doesn't say no gi bjj - he says no gi jiu jitsu, which to me = submission wrestling.
    lol he is a gracie

when he says jiu jitsu, he means bjj
    Yo Rashad - do you want fries with that?

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

Man, saying that sort of thing leads to fights on the beach!!
    lol rickson ftw

rickson was losing till his friend threw sand in hugo's face
    man, when you're the nail, hang in there....until the day you become the hammer

was that hugo duarte? (sp?)

he was a ''bad man'' in his day and had big influence on btt success..

steve_langford

I would love to see Rashad pulling off top level BB nogi stuff like the x-guard etc , would be amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by markjitsu View Post
    he doesn't say no gi bjj - he says no gi jiu jitsu, which to me = submission wrestling.
    but in the context of our sport, you can do BJJ with a gi or with nogi, where do you guys think the term 'nogi' came from if not from the BJJ fraternity...

People need to think outside their own frame of reference and stop imposing how they see the art as the way it should be, some people do bjj for self defence, some for mma, some for the sport aspects and within that some will train in the gi, some not in the gi and some both.

i guess the ibjjf thought that the easiest way to divide categories based on skill would be to use their exisiting belt system, especially if they assumed thatthe majority of people entering ibjjf jo gi tournies would be existing bjj players at bjj academies. Clearly this issue will hopefully have prompted some discussions within the ibjjf as to what to do with wrestlers/sub wrestler/other grapplers who don't fit into this equation. Will people be given the option to "self certify" their proficiency as in most other nogi competitions.

Seems to me it would be quite simple to do it this way...

If people train at a BJJ school then they have a rank then it counts for gi (belt) and nogi (shirt/rashguard). If they just train nogi then they just have rank in that.

Then for IBJJF nogi comps the guys who have BJJ rank should wear the correct coloured rashguard top to indicate it and guys from non BJJ schools can wear whatever and enter the category they feel is correct for them.

Anything wrong with that?
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by J-Sho View Post
    but in the context of our sport, you can do BJJ with a gi or with nogi, where do you guys think the term 'nogi' came from if not from the BJJ fraternity...

People need to think outside their own frame of reference and stop imposing how they see the art as the way it should be, some people do bjj for self defence, some for mma, some for the sport aspects and within that some will train in the gi, some not in the gi and some both.
    good point - i was indeed looking at this from my own, self idealised perspective which other people won't understand, or even if they do, may not agree with...
    PROFESSIONAL MMA SHIT.
    LIKES FREE STUFF.
    GIVE ME MONEY.