Thread: kickboxing....oh im out of shape

Hybrid View

Unhappy kickboxing....oh im out of shape

Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to do some kickboxing training to go with the grappling i've started doing but i can't even get my leg chest height.Its really bugging me but i'm interested to hear how other people found their first kickboxing session.

I think an important thing to add is that I had reconstructive knee surgery on my left knee about 4 years ago as my acl snapped.They used hamstring as my new acl and my knee is so tight.Cant even touch my toes on the left side.My hand is almost 6 inches away from my foot before its agony.So i have 3/4 hamstring,if that makes sense.If anyone can describe this better please do.

So...mobility,fitness and the first time at kickboxing....GO!

Craig

Quote Originally Posted by trialsalot View Post
    Hi everyone,

I'm wanting to do some kickboxing training to go with the grappling i've started doing but i can't even get my leg chest height.Its really bugging me but i'm interested to hear how other people found their first kickboxing session.

I think an important thing to add is that I had reconstructive knee surgery on my left knee about 4 years ago as my acl snapped.They used hamstring as my new acl and my knee is so tight.Cant even touch my toes on the left side.My hand is almost 6 inches away from my foot before its agony.So i have 3/4 hamstring,if that makes sense.If anyone can describe this better please do.

So...mobility,fitness and the first time at kickboxing....GO!

Craig
    Hi Craig
    I teach kickboxing classes myself.
    Dont worry about flexibility just yet. Some people can get their les high straightaway, some people struggle. In fact about 5 or 6 years ago i used to have a fighter who could not kick above the belt!!!
    He had 2 fights. He won one and he Drew one. Basically he never lost LOL

Concentrate on learning your basics and getting them right. Watch your guard at all times (this is essential). In particular, a LOT of beginners always drop the right hand when throwing a left hook (one of my pet hates!).
    When i am holding the pads, my students will make this mistake once and once only LOL.

Dont worry about it, go along and have a go. Tell your instructor when you meet him , im sure hell be helpful.
    Let me know how you get on.
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

I'm 6 foot 2 and I can't kick to my head height, been training for 4 years. with practice you should be able to kick to rib level and that's probably good enough anyway. A lot of mma folk don't even bother with left high kicks (no offence meant!) so it isn't something that everyone is developing, you wouldn't be missing out by not having full mobility in your left leg.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Keerin View Post
    I'm 6 foot 2 and I can't kick to my head height, been training for 4 years. with practice you should be able to kick to rib level and that's probably good enough anyway. A lot of mma folk don't even bother with left high kicks (no offence meant!) so it isn't something that everyone is developing, you wouldn't be missing out by not having full mobility in your left leg.
    The above is totally correct.
    Looking for K-1 Kickboxers ALL Levels 26th Feb

Yeah if you are just looking to train for competetive fun then it really wont matter about how high you can kick or how flexible you are, even at the pro level of mma in the uk not many head kicks are thrown in competition at all
    High quality MMA training gear, massive range of supplements and low prices...

www.deepbluefightwear.com

Could also be to do with the technique of the kick, are you more swinging the leg with no pivot of the hips, no chambering of the leg etc. Could all be reasons why its not as easy as you were hoping, I know alot of beginners and some novices dont really chamber the leg as they unleash the kick instead just kick out almost in an adapted soccer kick haha. Just little things can actually have a big impact, try pivoting into the kick as you do it aswel. If your standing heavy and arent going through the motion correctly no matter how flexible you are the kick wont feel right and will have some difficulty getting nice and high!

Maybe try get some one on one in the class off your coach, get him to teach you the exact technique or even to let you know its just practice as your reasonably new at this point so theres nothing to worry about. Your coach would be the best one to go to I would say.
    Ninja

I could throw head kicks from the first day I started training Muay Thai, I can do the full splits too....but I have always been crazy flexible.

My flexibility is awful...badly need to start stretching daily. As mentioned above, at the moment I only train kicks that go rib/mid section height or lower.

just tell him your problem and try your best.
    not to quote my mother or anything but "no one can fault you if you try your best"

Headkick's / flexibility are really not much of a major factor in Muay Thai as much as you would expect. Don't get me wrong, used well they can fell the toughest of opponents, but they are also risk as your left standing on one leg which is not nice to have kicked away from under you.

Your bread and butter are more leg kicks and around the rib cage (esp floating ribs).

I have trained with guys who never ever throw high kicks at all, but they are still total beasts, getting caught in their clinch is a horrible, brutal place to suffer.