Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: does no headshot mma turn into a jj match?

Hybrid View

Default does no headshot mma turn into a jj match?

my background is striking and i was thinking of entering a amateur comp. but with no headshots its unlikely to win by knockout or tko, so to win you'd have to slog it out until the end of the match and hope to win by decision. Fighters must know this (if it is the case) and so just go to ground in order to work for the submission so they can win straight out. henceforth turning it into a jj comp. i know you can GnP a bit but to the body isn't going to win you the fight and will make you easier to submit.
    happy to be proven wrong just want as much info as possible.

JJ matches dont have full contact leg kicks, punches (to the body), stomps, hammerfists and knees to the body... so it can't be a JJ match, or a BJJ match cos you dont have the gi and it aint pure grappling.

wow wait a second. you can stomp in amature mma?

Quote Originally Posted by vileniall View Post
    Yep, to the body but if you can get away with (accidentally) kicking them in the head then it's all good. Depends what they let you get away with. I've been on the receiving end of allsorts of dirty tactics, from having my nose butted and grinded with opponents chin (quality move by the way cos the ref didn't notice), headshots, knees to the head, upkicks. I mean yeah, a lot of the stuff is illegal, and the ref will stop it n warn you but if he lets you continue it's an advantage to you.

Quote Originally Posted by vileniall View Post
    my thought exactly.
    STUART WELLS 2-2-0

Quote Originally Posted by BenA View Post
    my background is striking and i was thinking of entering a amateur comp. but with no headshots its unlikely to win by knockout or tko, so to win you'd have to slog it out until the end of the match and hope to win by decision. Fighters must know this (if it is the case) and so just go to ground in order to work for the submission so they can win straight out. henceforth turning it into a jj comp. i know you can GnP a bit but to the body isn't going to win you the fight and will make you easier to submit.
    happy to be proven wrong just want as much info as possible.
    I'd find a promotion that does semi-pro with headshots on the floor.

Otherwise it will either be a BJJ match or whoever has the best conditioned legs.

Saying that, a well placed spin kick can produce a KO, r.e. kellys last fight.
    Genetically Different.

an amt fight with no headshots is not the same as a mma fight or a BJJ fight
    the strikes although just to the body (unlikely to casue a stoppage) do make for a different fight technique than just BJJ grappling. its gets harder to pull off that classic BJJ armbar when someone has knocked the wind out of your gut with a cheeky punch. I'd see it a halfway house between the two. if you want to do headshots there are plenty of shows that do this you can choose headshots just standing or both you can even decide on the type of gloves (sparring mitts or mma gloves) ...horses for courses, something for everyone etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin+ View Post
    it will either be a BJJ match
    No it wont. BJJ is completely different. BJJ has gi's for a start.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    No it wont. BJJ is completely different. BJJ has gi's for a start.
    Sorry your highness, grappling match.
    Genetically Different.

Quote Originally Posted by Serotonin+ View Post
    Sorry your highness...
    That's more like it. It's about time I started getting some respect around here!