Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: does no headshot mma turn into a jj match?

Can we just clarify that amateur MMA is not exclusively "no headshots", without wanting to drag up the whole debate again.

Any promotion is free to use whatever rules they please for amateurs. No headshots is just one example of the rule-sets that can be used.

Shows with amateur rules and GnP in the North, PM me.

to be honest you should train your grappling because your not going to be able to keep it standing 100% . if you do ameture fights its a hell of a lot better to begin with

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonk!! View Post
    to be honest you should train your grappling because your not going to be able to keep it standing 100% . if you do ameture fights its a hell of a lot better to begin with
    I think the point he was getting at was whether there was any point in trying to keep it on the feet? From what I've seen, probably not. I fancy amateur so I can get some competitive practice with submission wrestling in my gloves tbh. no headshots is a good medium for me since I'm a thai boxer and can use kicks and what not but just can't punch the head.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Keerin View Post
    I think the point he was getting at was whether there was any point in trying to keep it on the feet? From what I've seen, probably not. I fancy amateur so I can get some competitive practice with submission wrestling in my gloves tbh. no headshots is a good medium for me since I'm a thai boxer and can use kicks and what not but just can't punch the head.
    i agree to a certain extent, but i think you are doing yourself a bit of a disservice Keerin tbh! If you are a decent MT guy you would probably be surprised about how effectively you can keep it standing with someone who is purely a grappler. To those who think am mma (no headshots) is just JJ, you are mistaken. A few deep Teep kicks and some leg kicks slammed in nice n hard can seriously change the course of battle, especially against someone who aint used to standing. You can still sprawl and brawl without head shots if that suits your style.

but i'll completely contradict myself now by saying that 90% of this style of am mma ends up on the ground in about 30 seconds lol
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Quote Originally Posted by BenA View Post
    just wanted to know what everyone else was doing.
    im only training mma once or twice a week for 2 hours. i really want to compete for the experience but feel i will get utterly dominated by everyone else.
    yourself answers the point in question. you've done bbj and mma for 1.5 years and if i competed i would be competeing against someone similar to you and i would get destroyed.
    Like people have said its what you wanna get from MMA/BJJ. I train BJJ 2x a week for 1 hour. 3x week in MMA for 1.5 hours and now occasionally throwing in a private class when i have the spare cash. I dont know whats the average work regime for people competing in MMA at any level but i'd like to train more but who wouldnt lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Soldmysoulforabeer View Post
    Like people have said its what you wanna get from MMA/BJJ. I train BJJ 2x a week for 1 hour. 3x week in MMA for 1.5 hours and now occasionally throwing in a private class when i have the spare cash. I dont know whats the average work regime for people competing in MMA at any level but i'd like to train more but who wouldnt lol.
    whoa you get to train a LOT! Dont blame you for wanting more but you really are lucky now to get that much in mate!

@BenA - if you want to compete just do it, whats the worst thats gonna happen with no headshots? Im going for it for this reason and i only train 1-2 per week(MMA) although do other physical stuff on top of that
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Quote Originally Posted by Dave78 View Post
    whoa you get to train a LOT! Dont blame you for wanting more but you really are lucky now to get that much in mate!

@BenA - if you want to compete just do it, whats the worst thats gonna happen with no headshots? Im going for it for this reason and i only train 1-2 per week(MMA) although do other physical stuff on top of that
    ye i agree with you i was doing it 6 month an i jumped in and it was awsome cant beat going in there for the first time infront of a big crowd

fair play
    i just dont want to get in too early and fight against people far more qualified than myself, get destroyed and then dislike competeing.
    i suppose i should ask my coach, if i thought i would be matched with someone of similar level and with similar aims for the fight id want to. i'm not afraid of losing i just want it to be reasonably close so i dont think it was a waste of time (if i wanted to get beaten up i could have just called a wedge guy a dick head)

iv been doing this a year next week and iv had 4 semi pro fights iv fought guys more experienced than me and lost a couple but iv seen myself improve a hell of alot and with more training this year il be back this year hopefully geting what i want, if you get dishearted by it your in the wrong game , i lost my last fight but just thought fuck it he was unbeate fucked it up 2 min before the end of my fight just trying to rush him , i cant wait to get back in the cage because its an amazing feeling pal.

Slightly Bonkers shakus maximus's Avatar

i agree to a certain extent, but i think you are doing yourself a bit of a disservice Keerin tbh! If you are a decent MT guy you would probably be surprised about how effectively you can keep it standing with someone who is purely a grappler. To those who think am mma (no headshots) is just JJ, you are mistaken. A few deep Teep kicks and some leg kicks slammed in nice n hard can seriously change the course of battle, especially against someone who aint used to standing. You can still sprawl and brawl without head shots if that suits your style.
    most sensible post so far