Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting weight for amatuer

Question Cutting weight for amatuer

Just wondered, to those of you who do/have compete(d) amatuer how much weight you cut/diet?

I know it is not uncommon in pro's to shed a load of weight, but with amatuers normally being same day weigh in, what sort of weight do you guys drop from and to???

I am going from 77kg to 75kg (was meant to be 74kg and i could have made it!) but would ideally fight at 70kg by shedding water weight also. I couldn't do this for same day weigh in's though.
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

Basically don't do it, get your diet sorted early so you can make the weight without cutting water... dehydrating without adequate rehydration time will kill your performance dead.

Career highlight video
    Team Fulinkazan "The will to win compares little with the will to prepare to win"

cheers Dave, I'm not actually cutting any water weight, as i said im going from 77-75 over the course of a couple of weeks (already made it tbh)

what i was asking is, to all, how much weight do you drop for am (or when you competed at am level)?
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

boxingbrit

You can diet for amateur but not cut as Dave said

I Dieted heavy as i took it on short notice. (72kg to 68)

i got around 68.8 the night before, so didnt eat. The morning i had a nutrigrain bar, and pissed and sweated a load of water. eventually making 67.5.

The diet was fine, but that last bit of weight that i cut made me gas like a fucker. had NO energy at all.

So yeah, just diet effectivly a long time before, perhaps gettting to a lower weight than you need, then maybe have a few days off to get your energy back and not have to worry about putting weight on?
    This is not a gif. It is an actual video of Fedor doing infinate press ups.
    3-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by Jak-TapouT- View Post

So yeah, just diet effectivly a long time before, perhaps gettting to a lower weight than you need, then maybe have a few days off to get your energy back and not have to worry about putting weight on?
    thanks Jack, this is what i have done/am doing. The weight is now off with a comfortable window of time left before the fight.

What i was asking is (which you have answered) .... do people normally bother or just go in at 'walk around weight'?
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

I go at walk around weight (74ish at -77). But I've seen many many guys skipping and sweating before weigh ins, so...I would say it's probably something like a 50/50 split at the events I've been to.

Hope that helps,

Take care,

Oli
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

In the past I've lost 15 Pounds a couple of weeks before an amateur comp, mainly just through dieting and cardio to help shed weight and I'm not too bad the day of the fights.

However, one time I left it till last minute and I had to cut 15 pounds in a week which was hell. I barely ate all week and was constantly running to lose weight. I had no energy on the day and was exhausted as soon as I hit the mats, but somehow mustered a win and a draw in both fights. Nevertheless I wouldn't recommend doing this. To be honest it's better just to fight at a higher weight category and to be fully fit.

cheers Oli and Luke

as Oli says i guess it all just depends on the day and the individual, ive done about 7-8lbs but over a period of time, i think (hope) it wont affect my energy levels as ive practically made weight already and still have 14 days to go
    "Just Scrap!"

Twitter '@DWedz'

I cut from 85 walking weight to 81 fighting weight. That was done through change in diet and hard work. Plus basic stuff like not eating after 10, getting good sleep etc.
    The best moment of my life was being punched in the face by Liam Harrison.