Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BBJ or JUDO?

Quote Originally Posted by Simon Hayes View Post
    90% of people have the physical and mental capability to get to Blue.
    What lets them down is their commitment to the task.
    do you mean by this that it comes down to how much matt time you put in?
    Its one of the things that I worry about training, having work and family commitments I can only get 2 maybe 3 sessions a week on the matts. Am I never to achieve higher ranks due to these restraints?
    If I was in the position to I would train everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul j View Post
    do you mean by this that it comes down to how much matt time you put in?
    Its one of the things that I worry about training, having work and family commitments I can only get 2 maybe 3 sessions a week on the matts. Am I never to achieve higher ranks due to these restraints?
    If I was in the position to I would train everyday!
    Mat time=increased opportunities for learning.
    Everyone is different and pick up things at different paces.
    Some ppl train once a week and seem to progress quickly. Some people train 4-5 days a week and it seems to do nothing for them.

If you cannot train as much as you would like; you can try to get more efficient. Time management skills and getting better at studying won't hurt anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkne$s View Post
    Mat time=increased opportunities for learning.
    Everyone is different and pick up things at different paces.
    Some ppl train once a week and seem to progress quickly. Some people train 4-5 days a week and it seems to do nothing for them.

If you cannot train as much as you would like; you can try to get more efficient. Time management skills and getting better at studying won't hurt anyone.
    Well said.

Way I see it, just enjoy your training. For me, the sparse grading system of BJJ is one of the reasons that attracted me to it, as opposed to the turn up get your belt every two months mentality of other martial arts I have partaken in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

Bit off topic but didn't Bj get his blue in like 6 months, i wonder how much mat time he put in, i know there is a vid on youtube when he was a white belt tapping a blue.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

I wrestled in high school and college and then did years of judo. After years of judo BJJ was a welcome relief. All ground grappling without the beating up of your body from the throws. Besides I always liked and was good at the Judo ground grappling. At any rate for ground grappling BJJ is better than judo. For standup judo is better. The trick is to know them both like Joe Moreira and
    myself.

For your body, Judo is better when you are younger, BJJ is better when you are older.

For your brain, whichever you enjoy more is better. Life is too short to be bored.

Quote Originally Posted by TatooineFarmBoy View Post
    For your body, Judo is better when you are younger, BJJ is better when you are older.

For your brain, whichever you enjoy more is better. Life is too short to be bored.
    I agree totally. I have a Nidan (2nd degree Black Belt) in Judo and a Brown Belt in BJJ. I am turning 40 in June and prefer BJJ over Judo for that reason. Judo is like wrestling, fast and explosive...but technical in the Dojo and during Kata training. BJJ is more relaxed, slower paced with focus on technique and patience. My body does not recover as quickly as it did when I started Judo many years ago.

I still teach Judo 3 times a week and teach BJJ 4 times a week, but I actively spar in BJJ after every class, not so much Judo sparring to avoid injury.

I started Judo a year or so before BJJ, and earned a Black Belt in the time it took for me to earn a Blue Belt in BJJ (I was a BJJ White Belt for years though). I feel everyone should train both if able, as both Martial Arts complement each other and originated from the same place. Our students are much more complete competitors and have fun competing in BJJ and Judo tournaments.
    Gracie Barra Idaho
    "Organized like a Team, Fighting like a Family"
    http://www.idahobjj.com

You need to flow with the go!
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

You Need Both!
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    You Need Both!
    And wrestling.