Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: guard to back transition?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ13 View Post
    i have been in my guard and have a few times shrimped out to the side, slid up and around to gain my oppos back,

i havent been taught anything with regards to this so was purely doing it by what felt right, but is there any technique to it i had a look on youtube but came up with nothing
    As Rob said armdrags. Buuut instead of going straight for the armdrag ie wrist control and reaching inside of the arm ( they usually pull straight out of it ) try locking in a tight overhook on their arm, when they dip the shoulder and rotate the arm to pull it out its a lot easier to armdrag across and then shrimp out. Rather than going up and over you can also reach across to the lat and pull them onto their side kicking your bottom leg out and getting both hooks, or kicking their far knee out to flatten them out.

As IWM said you can take the back quite easily from half guard with underhooks providing they don't got a tight whizzer on your arm.

Hope that made sense.

I really like the closed guard to back transition that Saulo shows in his no gi series. It starts from an over under grip and he uses the underhook to create an opening. Beautiful stuff.

Jamie that stuff you're describing is worth gold mate. Thanks for that!!
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

Quote Originally Posted by JJ13 View Post
    i have been in my guard and have a few times shrimped out to the side, slid up and around to gain my oppos back,

i havent been taught anything with regards to this so was purely doing it by what felt right, but is there any technique to it i had a look on youtube but came up with nothing
    when you say you havent been taught do you mean you dont go to any classes?

if not go very careful in "experimenting" with body triangles as it can be a spinelock & put huge pressure on the spine in certain positions especially when your partner is flattened out. forget who it was, but someone tapped to one of these in a ufc fight a few years back & was pretty badly hurt
    Augustus Gloop, Augustus Gloop, a great big greedy nincompoop!!