Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Hayes interview

Default Simon Hayes interview

It gives me great pleasure to announce my first interview of 2010, with none other than Simon Hayes

The interview was taken in October and due to work commitments, it's taken me some time to transcribe (it's a biggie lol) and sort out.

It's currently online at http://www.adcombat.com/news/2010-01...g-photographer

I have also sent it to Onthemat.com and Lockflow.com.

I hope you enjoy it

F
    Last edited by fishface; 19-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.

steve_langford

amazing interview

Cool interview Carl, always love listening to what Simon has to say.

settings/edit profile Jimmy Boogaloo's Avatar

inspirational stuff - thank you!

I arrived there and it was like a mad house, completely mental; the downstairs room which is quite small was rammed with all sorts of street thugs, Karate and Japanese Ju Jutsu black belts, bouncers, football hooligans, Eastern European soldiers, no normal average man off the street, everyone in the room was completely and utterly mental and Chen was running his class.
    You can smell fighter’s blood in here, it’s not a Fitness First gym, we are developing fighter’s talent and whether it’s BJJ or MMA or Muay Thai, this is a place where people come to learn martial arts and to fight.
    recognizing who your ego is and learning not to listen to it is part of the journey in Jiu Jitsu.
    'I'm not saying I couldn't find a few minutes a day to read a forum, but somehow I've managed to make it through these past few years without being called a faggot on a daily basis.'

the more I read of interviews like this, the more I realise that I am going to be doing BJJ for a long, long time.. great read!

Great interview, seems like a top bloke and always has interesting opinions.
    www.legacyclothingco.com www.tomblackledge.com www.wolfslairmma.co.uk

Great read, makes me wish there was an out & out BJJ club local to me!

Thanks for the feedback guys

This barely scratched the surface I only had an hour or so with him before we started training again.

When this guy talks you listen, he's one of the most inspirational coaches and martial artists in the UK. Get the chance to train with him in one of his classes and you will leave the class motivated beyond belief, I know I did when I went down there last October.

Wish i had longer to chat with him, hope to interview him again soon

As always, I'm available for interviews, if you feel your coach is worthy of an interview then drop me a PM

F

You can smell fighter’s blood in here, it’s not a Fitness First gym, we are developing fighter’s talent and whether it’s BJJ or MMA or Muay Thai, this is a place where people come to learn martial arts and to fight
    AWESOME! QUOTE!

Just wondered why theres no mention of Nelson Solari surly he was a massive infulence in Carlson's UK
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

I really enjoyed the interview. I regularly tavelled up to the Budokwai from Plymouth in the late eighties and early nineties. Ray Stevens and Neil Adams were an inspiration to me to and I trained a few times at the LJS. I can relate to so much of what Simon says. 'Angry White Pyjamas' and books like 'The Gloves' and 'A fighters heart' are great but sorry Simon, unlke the authors of those books, you are an expert, another Sid Hoare. You need to write a book that passes on your wisdom.