Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thailand gym enquiry

Thanks Fightshop. That's great information. Excellent thread reply. I will look into that and also Yak, i was looking at legacy gym website but it seems incoplete? FIGHTSHOP...Reminds me actually; i was looking for thai pads on your site today and couldn't find any? What's happening? stock, or changing the site around?
    "Awww, so you lost darling - but it's the taking part that counts" My Mum... thanks for nothing Mum.

Guys, my wife is from Nong Khai, her old man an old trainer, i have a house up there in the middle of miles and miles of Rice paddys. When i get back there i regularly visit as many rural camps as i can. I have been going back and fore Thailand for years, all the top fighters from the sticks move to the cities and resorts to live/train/fight because they get better money.

I started MT in 1984 aged 12 in my experience all of the Thai camps have good pad men and bad padmen good trainers and bad trainers, the Top Bangkok gyms are the ones with most gambling money so in theory have the best padmen (not so true) - the bad padmen are usually just lazy, there are only so many ways one can hold and train with Thai Pads.

I would personally go and stay at a beach resort for a 1st trip to Thailand as anymore than 2 weeks Thai training morning and night on a 1st trip for your average Western fighter (excluding top pro's) is soul destroying no matter how hard or mentally tough you think you are.

I have seen guys so miserable after 3 weeks Thai style training in Bangkok you wonder why they bother. Get to the resorts, go Jetskiing, windsurfing, diving etc in your downtime have some fun it really helps.

Just my opinion.

Bankok Gyms, JITTIS, SASIPRAPA, PIMU (W.P.T) 13 COINS, KAEWSAMWRIT and now EMINANT AIR are coming through with a lot of Western fighters at Lumpinee and Rajadmnern

Pattaya - COMBAT GYM (Italaian guy runs it, a friend of mine) Sitjaipetch (Irish run, good Gym) Sityodtong - very good, a little out of the way but one of the most famous and respected gyms in Thailand. FAIRTEX- OK if the good trainers are there, maybe a little commercial but very very comfortable.

PHUKET- SINBI or RAWAI

KOH SAMUI - WMC

All have websites and cater for Westerners
    only one will come back and that will be me!
    www.thaiboxingwales.com

Great thread! Lee all of that you have jotted down has helped me a great deal actually, will be looking at their websites when in back from work and having a good research through the areas too. One thing that would be the decider for me would be the area personally. What the accomodation is like, im not really one to stay in a grotty old hole id prefer some home comforts if you would if i would be forking out the money to go.
    Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by ocuana View Post
    i was looking at legacy gym website but it seems incoplete?
    Yeah they dont spend alot of time on their website. Add Malik Mawlayi on FB who is thr grappling coach at Legacy. Cool guy, he'll give you as much info as possible. They've just had a nice big cage installed there too. Ole Laursen is there as well as Malik. Great guys.

http://www.facebook.com/malik.mawlayi
    Coffee drinker, prefer Pepsi and I'm kind of a big deal.

Also a few more questions, what is anyones experiences of the training at the given gym. What was/wasnt provided in terms of training etc?

Any help would be fantastic, cheers guys
    Ninja

TTT

10 chars
    Ninja

sasiprapa gym in Bangkok was awesome, there was some foregners there but still more Thais, the trainers there wre all excellent and the fighters at the gym where different class. Location meant i was never distracted so got to train and learn as much as possible.

Heading back there in August, would also like to check out Ole Laursens Legacy gym at some point as ive heard good things about it.

Jitti gym!

im at patong boxing gym, prob the best thai gym i have trained at so far. all one on one sessions and i never leave with a ounce of energy left even if i only do an hour. the pad work here is pretty intense, lucky me got the head trainer everyday!

Quote Originally Posted by ocuana View Post
    Thanks Fightshop. That's great information. Excellent thread reply. I will look into that and also Yak, i was looking at legacy gym website but it seems incoplete? FIGHTSHOP...Reminds me actually; i was looking for thai pads on your site today and couldn't find any? What's happening? stock, or changing the site around?
    Sorry for the late reply I havnt been on here in a while. Container arrived in UK and now awaiting customs clearance.