Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which gi to buy?

Default Which gi to buy?

I dare say this question has been asked before but I am about to start bjj and need a gi. Which brands should I look at and what other things should I look for ie should it be pre shrunk ,how much should I be looking to pay etc. Thanks for all your help

for top money alot of people recomend Koral & Atama gi's, but like you said if your just starting, (like me, i've had about 7 lessons) i went for the Faixa Rua Gi's there alot cheeper but almost eveyone comment on there great quality for value so i went with them, after i get some more experience and maybe start to compete in a year or so i might upgrade to a Koral one.

on a side note, i have a Koral rash guard and its great!!, much better than all my other RG's.

6th word on the top column SEARCH yes its been asked before MANY MANY times stop clogging up a decent forum with GAY what Gi should I buy threads and use your brain!
    Last edited by rjd; 23-01-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    6th word on the top column SEARCH yes its been asked before MANY MANY times stop clogging up a decent forum with GAY what Gi should I buy threads and use your brain!
    you can answer his question without being a dick.

Good information but poor delivery

Harsh mate harsh!!

Come guys its not rocket science ok maybe I was a little harsh but its getting repetitive
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

Maybe a more constructive answer here:

First of all, finding the right gi is a totally personal choice. A lot of my training pals swear by one brand but when I tried it, I just didn't like it so I sold it on.
    Yes, finding out the perfect gi can be an expensive long lasting affair.

However, there are ways to research more effectively:

1. Ask your team mates about their gi and what they think. Maybe try on different sizes (before a bout of sweaty training!) and different brands. Ask them about shrinkage and comfort.

2. Have a look at the Sherdog equipment and review forum, it's jam packed with really thorough, almost anally retentive, reviews of all sorts of gis. Just type in a brand name and you're almost guaranteed to get a review.

3. If you attend a comp or seminar, sometimes there are stands run by gi makers, you can chat to them and try on various gis there, and sometimes they sell them cheaper than online.

4. I have done a review of two very popular models here:
    http://meerkat69.blogspot.com/2009/0...-classico.html
    And I am planning another major gi review right now.

5. A final point is if you have just started, then really a cheap judo gi or low-priced BJJ gi is more than sufficient. Over the years, you'll be tempted by various brands but no point shelling out for a $280 imported gi - well I think there's not point however experienced you are.

Finally, don't be put off this or other forums by negative response. YEs you can use the search function but some of the information can get dated eg certain gi models are no longer sold etc, and there is a lot of sales pitches by punters who are sponsored so have an agenda to sell, and it's hard to get an unbiased opinion sometimes.

Hope this helps, good luck in your BJJ journey. At the end of the day, don't worry too much about the gi, it makes very very little difference to your skill development. Look at old photos of Helio, Carlson, Rickson etc. They just wore uniforms they probably made themselves out of old tea rags - it didn't stop them be awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

Thanks alot everyone for your help,much apprecated
    Last edited by daveo13; 23-01-2010 at 03:20 PM.

Dont buy cyclone ! they rip after 3-4 training sessions which is like 1-2 weeks ! of intense training !