Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice for amatuers

Default Advice for amatuers

Having my first amatuer fight at the seni 10 amatuer mma-league event.

I feel I am going to do fairly alright, and the fights are such a long way away that I'm not at all nervous or anything like that, but sure that'll change.

Just wondering, what were people in here's first fight's like at amatuer or semi pro or whatever it was they stepped into first. Any cool/funny stories? Any advice?

I asked a similar question at the begining of last year before my first fight, I think the thread was titled first fight nerves. Have a search and see if you can find it, I got some good helpfull advice. Best of luck for the fight.

cheers mate

take it easy. relax its just another day in the gym , whats the worst that can happen.

Just don't let nerves get the better of you think about your opponent and what he is going to do and just just work more than him adrenaline can be a good thing.

I presume you are quite well trained at Bjj if your going to the seni . Il be there doing some Bjj aswell hoping to get my blue belt this year from doing well at the seni or going to Preston to grapple with some of lagartos guyS

I'm fairly alrite at bjj yeah, I don't want to talk it up, but I feel I'm half decent.

I train no gi though, I do Judo as well but only started that recently to tighten up my grappling, but I do alrite against the higher graded judo players, so I can't be shit haha.

I guess overall try and use any nerves/fear/adrenaline to my advantage and just make sure I'm prepared.

Why get over nervous when they can't can't hit to the head just show them what your all about on the floor make them work and use your transitioning to score you points if you can score the take down before he does,

Quote Originally Posted by TheMonk!! View Post
    Why get over nervous when they can't can't hit to the head just show them what your all about on the floor make them work and use your transitioning to score you points if you can score the take down before he does,
    Cos it's still full contact isn't it... but yeah, if you've prepared properly n you know you aint gonna gas after the 1st minute then you got nothing to worry about. Go out there n have fun and if you get caught then tap. Don't try to be a hero.

Quote Originally Posted by southxstyle View Post
    Having my first amatuer fight at the seni 10 amatuer mma-league event.

I feel I am going to do fairly alright, and the fights are such a long way away that I'm not at all nervous or anything like that, but sure that'll change.

Just wondering, what were people in here's first fight's like at amatuer or semi pro or whatever it was they stepped into first. Any cool/funny stories? Any advice?
    It may be a long way but soon comes round, and you'll get a bit nervous but afterwards you'll be elated (Important thing is to make weight then you can fight).

My 1st fight(s) were at Combat Sports Open, August 2007. Lost both fights in under a minute but I was up against some pretty good fighters. Sometimes that's the luck of the draw. Since then I've done a lot better, but it's all learning experience and getting better. Must say though, despite losing my first fights it was the biggest buzz, just to get in there and compete. Good luck and have fun!

I have fought on the MMA league many times. It's well run and there are no head shots. It is full contact other than that! What I would advise is work on yout takedowns (having a judo background will be of benifit) - and go for a quick submission. No matter how well you are fighting - if you dont submit the guy it will be a draw (unless you get sub'd!)... As for nervs, use them. It's a natural physioogical response - adrenaline mobilises glucose giving you energy..

And have fun!