Thread: First fight tips

Default First fight tips

I have my first am boxing fight coming up on the 3rd feb. I wondered if any of you guys have any tips, especially mentally: ie. try and stay cool and calm, get really agressive etc.

Its against a guy i sparred today. He caught me quite often with his straight right, but I wasnt hurt and improved through the rounds. I think I have better cardio and strength, but he probably has the technical edge.

Head movement, dont go back in straight lines you will just get followed and beat up. Even if hes beasting you with wild punches dont move back in a straight line just move out and find your angles and range along with head movement. BASICS! Fights can be won and lost on basics be them a jab or a simple combination, if it works for you keep doing it. Chances are if something is working in a fight he knows it is too and will put more effort into defending against the said thing rather than whats working for him. Also depending on the style dont get involved in some sort of a rocky fight even if you have him on the ropes, it could just lose you the fight!

Good luck man!
    Ninja

Think about what you have been learning, think about your strengths, know your fitness, DO NOT start thinking you may not be fit enough, you will be. three 2 mins is nothing. Think about that staright right. Do not keep moving to your left, move away from it to your right, but not ALL the time, just keep changing angles. Forget not getting hurt, if the judges see him score its a point for him wether it hurt you or not. Your boxing in 10 days. Forget any long runs, unless you need to still loose weight. I'd say you have time for maybe 2-3 sprint sessions. Plenty of fast pad work and 1-2 light sparring sessions to work against that right hand.

Dont sit round all day on the day. Take a brisk walk some place, nice and slow. Eat slow buring high energy foods, drink water through the day but only in sips, dont gulp it down you'll put on weight.
    You've sparred this fella so dont listen to what other people tell you about him. Take an ipod or something and just chill someplace. Get your self weighed in an to the doctor as early as you can incase you need to shed afew lbs. Weight then have a little bite to eat, something high in energy.
    About 4-5 fights before start getting ready, get your bandages on, check your headguard fits ok, feel good in your kit. Start warming up about 2 bouts before, light pad work, stretch ya legs and that. 1 bout before, little bit more pads, DO NOT THINK YOUR NOT FIT, its only nerves you will be fine once you are in there and through them ropes.
    And last but not least, get in there and enjoy it, you'll love it. Box well and use that fitness of yours to take atleast the end of each round, push yourself that little bit more than him. Good luck.

NB. Anything what I have said above you should only do if your coach agrees with it. If you have any doubts they are always the people you should discuss things with first. Myself and people on here only have opinions and are neither right nor wrong.

Play tabletennis on the day of the fight.

Dont overthink it.

And play tabletennis on the day.
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    I have my first am boxing fight coming up on the 3rd feb. I wondered if any of you guys have any tips, especially mentally: ie. try and stay cool and calm, get really agressive etc.

Its against a guy i sparred today. He caught me quite often with his straight right, but I wasnt hurt and improved through the rounds. I think I have better cardio and strength, but he probably has the technical edge.
    I've had 29 fights now in loads of different styles so I hope that makes me qualified to try giving some advice. First thing mate, you'll obviously be very nervous but I always remember that the other guy feels exactly the same way. Second, try and clear your mind before the fight, you don't want to go in all tense and forget about everything you worked on in the gym, so have a laugh with your team mates. Third thing, remember that you're in the situation because you want to be, because you enjoy it and it's what you do for fun. Last but not least, the feeling after a fight is awesome, so strive to get through it for the best buzz you can have at the end of it.
    Good luck