Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muay thai

Default Muay thai

I'll put it in here because i wasn't sure where else to put it as there isn't a thai forum. So sorry if its in the wrong forum guys, moderators feel free to move it.

I went to my first thai session last night, My shins are killing today from being on the bag, i just wondered if there was any thing i can get to toughen my shins up. Or wether its just a case of over time, my shins will toughen.

Also with flexibility, i wondered if there was anything i can do to improve flexibility. Any specific stretches people have found work to improve leg flexibility for higher kicks, or anything people found works. No fancy gimmick machines, just stretches which stretch specific muscles. I could do them when i get ouy of the bath so my muscles are warm, to get used to them. Or when im stretching off before training.

But again, if people found that after 6 month of training their flexibility improved a lot and they found themselves reaching higher kicks then thats fine, but just if there is anything specific i can get for my shins, to toughen them or minimise bruising, and stretches, to maximise my kicking height, so my muscles become stretchier and its easier for me to reach higher with my kicks. Or if its just something that will happen over time in training.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

nope, just ride it out - keep kicking the pads and heavy bad, slowly they will toughen up

ignore all the silly bollx ideas people give you about bottles/bricks and other such crap

kick thai pads (leather ones) and they will toughen up

flexibilty will come, however ensure you stretch outside of class if you can - odd session of yoga will help too - but its the hip rotation that you want and again just comes with practise

youve made the first step so well done, just keep at it ;-)

Thanks for the reply Yak. Yeah thats what i suspected, i was looking at yoga, and i will definately try it. Plus the lycra clad ladies will imrpove the view and tone of the session i think

With the hip rotation and pivoting etc. I used to box, so once i got the hang of the stance (as its a bit different in thai, I picked up moving and footwork easily as it is just an adapted version of boxing hip rotation. The kicking has taken its tole on my shins though and Im back training tonight lol. I maybe will just concentrate on technique and hardly any power.

I will just stick it out and let my shins toughen up naturally, get myself to yoga, and light stretching at home.

On a side note what do you mean about bottles and bricks? Not sure Ive heard that one.

Thanks mate.
    Ross
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

get some thai oil for your shins it will help with the pain after training.

other than that it is hit the bags until the pad goes ~ no easy route.

you get a lot of bang this or bash that on it

when all you need are proper thai pads and a hard bag (ideally at your gym you have a cpl ranging from hard - i.e hard enough now - to something that feels like concrete if you touch it at the moment....thats the one to build up to ;-)

put the oil on before you start, will help numb them a little bit

Thai oil and yoga, alongside hard graft and training. Problems solved then Cheers for your help guys. C.K.A Do you stock any thai oil and would you reccommend any? Or are they all the same?

Haha ya big pouf ! Roll a rolling pin down your shins to deaden the nerves.

Joking of course You can buy the thai oil from the gym pal.

Try to do 10 min stretches every night before bed, my flexibility has improved dramatically since I started oing that. You have to be consistent doing it though, I used to stretch a lot years ago and remember I once stopped for a few weeks and was pretty much back to square 1.
    Last edited by Jamie Taylor; 27-01-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Ah right, theres a few things i can try then. except the rolling pin idea of course, soft lad.

Where were you lot last night? I thought you did no gi grappling on tuesdays after the thai class. I really enjoyed it, did a bit of light sparring with dave which was funny. kept catching me lol, hes a good laugh.

Do a google for dynamic and isometric stretching set aside 20min in the morning and 20min in the evening to do the routine that will help with flexibility remember its not just your lefts you want to improve but also your core as that will help with rotations and twists etc greater speed and so on

Nah its mon, wed and fri pal ! I'll prob see ya tonight, I'm gonna come a little earlier and watch you lot train for a bit. I'm skipping the class cos I had a private today and got fucking beasted. Still gonna have a good grapple like, probably wont be able to walk tomorrow.