Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taekwondo

to add if you cant apply a technique then thats down to your lack of skill so in other words your shit in that area. that goes with any skill good thing about mma is essentaially a knockout punch is all you need if you can pull it off

ive started itf which is the non olympic style of tkd and much more useful the instructor sparred with me first session and encouraged me to use my elements of muay thai and karate that i have a ground in and i have noticed as im a short guy (5 5) my range using tkd techniques into my standup has improved specifically the light on feet skipping into a kick add more momentum meaning more range and height therefore better knockout

People jump on this bashing Taekwondo bandwagon. I trained TKD from 13 to 18 and after a two year break I joined an mma club and have always done incredibly well in sparring. Your hands need sharpening no doubt but when it comes too kicks I have hardly come across anyone who can out kick me. In Muay thai sessions I have almost knocked people out when holding the pads, people come up to me all the time asking me what style I used before mma. Taekwondo would act in an excellent way supplement other training, it is excellent for speed and flexibility with some excellent footwork for stand up fighting.

end of rant

With the right skillset and natural ability I dont think any fighting style is superior to the other. Obviously each can be in their own ways but a martial art like TKD in the right fighter can be a very dangerous weapon if they are a clever fighter who can adapt and mix styles. Almost Anderson Silva like in the way he seems to use a vast amount of techniques that could be argued are mixed in and adapted from many forms.

Doubt you almost knocked anyone out holding pads though, unless your aim is shit and you missed the pad..
    Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by Mattchoo View Post
    With the right skillset and natural ability I dont think any fighting style is superior to the other. Obviously each can be in their own ways but a martial art like TKD in the right fighter can be a very dangerous weapon if they are a clever fighter who can adapt and mix styles. Almost Anderson Silva like in the way he seems to use a vast amount of techniques that could be argued are mixed in and adapted from many forms.

Doubt you almost knocked anyone out holding pads though, unless your aim is shit and you missed the pad..
    They hold the thai pads up, I kick the pad then bang their fist bang into there face up and then they stand there dazed and ask me to not kick so hard

Oh really..?

I have seen some top guys smash the shit out of pads, and none of their pad men go flying or the pads go flying..

Maybe your padman is actually not that good at holding pads at all, also holding his arms all flimsy. So as a result he gets smacked by himself. The only times iv been hit by a pad is when i havent held the pad anywhere near firmly enough.

This is most likely the case giving you belief you knock out padmen, so if your pad holder isnt actually good. Your technique most likely isnt perfect either..
    Ninja

I hate holding pads, ir hurts my arm.
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

yeh dude sounds like your pad holder needs to work on being able to lock his elbows

I can tell he will reply along the lines of how great his kicks are and how amazing he is. That he needs the biggest toughest guy there to hold his pads and they still go flying. The fact that a much smaller coach can hold pads with ease for a heavyweight professional for example speaks wonders for the padholder and himself.

But nah, its true SWLdn is just a terminator without even knowing
    Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by BenA View Post
    having studied tkd for 5 years i can safely say it is crap for mma.
    i teaches you high and pinning kicks but they lack any real use or power. their sparring is point stop (as in you make contact then you stop) so its just about getting the hit in first (speed) with no power. its not worth the effort in my opinion
    Having trained 'full contact' tkd for 28 years, and fought for the british team, it works great for speed and long range kicking, but you gotta blend it with muay thai & boxing.
    Chris Foran
    Premier Fight Team www.premier-mma.com
    Roger Gracie Academy www.rogergracie.com