Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Britain teams at the Euros.

Default Great Britain teams at the Euros.

Congratulations to the British teams who fought at the Europeans this weekend. It really is an honour to fight for your country and our boys were all part of something very special yesterday.

The purple belt under 76 kg division was a real cliffhanger, amazing performances from Oli, Omar, Karim and Dave. Some real special moments with Karim and Dave submitting all their opponents, Oli practically fighting on 2 mats at the same time and showing some hilarious gamesmanship and superb attacking jiu jitsu as always. (loved the reaction to the 'slam' and the kneebah) Omar with some fantastic performances and also loved the jumping around celebrating to influence the refs decision (we was robbed).

It was a great silver medal and a hairs breadth away from a gold that would have been an amazing achievement for UK BJJ.

I spoke to faixa last night and he has said he would love to recognize this amazing performance by paying for the flights for the UK purple belt team next year and I think that we should have the same guys representing (assuming they are purple by then ) + one other to make up the 5.

I'm gutted I had to leave before the Brown belts team fought, I heard it was a who's who of BJJ and it must have been a great experience for our guys who fought, would love to hear more about their experiences if they are here?

I can remember back in 2004 fighting for the UK at bluebelt and we forged some great relationships that day when we forgot club allegiance and fought for our country, it was really special to see that happen again yesterday.

Well done everyone.

I'd second that! Some awesome displays of Bjj. Geddes was fighting in extremely quick succession & Daves last fight the armbar submission was a thing of beauty. Good testiment to the level of Bjj in the UK.
    Baroni - "I'm the man, the fucking man, the best ever, ever"

Great results, I was gutted my flight meant I had to miss (nearly all of) it. I saw Oli getting kneebarred though!!
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

Which Dave was on the team ?

Here's my old mate Ebe fighting some Brazilian Guy in the Brown belt teams

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxFa4vL4KQU

And another old mate Tom Barlow against some other Brazilian Guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOvfmqoReJ4

I think Kev Capel had a =n interesting match as well, hopefully someone will post that also.

I'll try and get Dave and Karims matches on here as well, they were awesome.

In my defense, I wasn't just trying to get him DQ'd. I did feel pretty hard done by, because there was a fair amount of downward force behind his triangle escape. I felt that at the very least we could have had a positional reset. But no, the referee let him carry on and have his points for side control. Bah. Still, it all worked out in the end. ^_^

Good job again to everyone who represented!

Take care,

Oli
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

man those Brazilian guys look familiar - must be an awesome experience

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    In my defense, I wasn't just trying to get him DQ'd. I did feel pretty hard done by, because there was a fair amount of downward force behind his triangle escape. I felt that at the very least we could have had a positional reset. But no, the referee let him carry on and have his points for side control. Bah. Still, it all worked out in the end. ^_^

Good job again to everyone who represented!

Take care,

Oli
    I'd say it was a borderline DQ, very close one. Just to clarify I'm not being critical, just had a chuckle at the time.