Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Grappling Arts Association LIVES ON!!

Personally I disagree with that point. I feel that tournaments that can't comply with minimum safety standards and organisation shouldn't be insured.

I think that tournaments on 20mm jigsaw mats on tennis courts called 'the intergalactic bjj championships of the UK' are bad for the sport.

What if someone is badly injured because the mats area is too small or the mats too thin? Is that good for the sport? Does it reflect well on us as a whole?

What if there is inadequate (if any) medical provision? Is it good for the sport to see a doctor operate on himself on the mats?

IMO insure first and ask questions later is a poor start, the logical order is to set out some guidelines and make sure tournaments adhere to them if they want GAA insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    Personally I disagree with that point. I feel that tournaments that can't comply with minimum safety standards and organisation shouldn't be insured.
    This should probably also apply to rule sets as well? The gi is pretty well standardised on CBJJ rules, but for no-gi there should probably be a minimum of no heel hooks, slamming and neck cranks for the lower experience divisions.

IMO insure first and ask questions later is a poor start, the logical order is to set out some guidelines and make sure tournaments adhere to them if they want GAA insurance.
    That sounds about right.

I'm also curious about unified referee training. It'd be great to have a grappling association which all refs have to go thru.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

The GAA hosted a referee, covering IBJJF rules and ADCC rules. Attendance was extremely poor.

We can do ones in the future if demand is there.

Guidelines for tournaments are being drawn up as we type. Input welcome.
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Thai Boxing in Farnborough
    Full time academy!
    http://www.andyrobertsbjj.com

Cool, that's really positive, also think it is important to have timetables and requirements for sticking to them in there as well. This is 2010 after all.

After that we can get started on grading, coaching, certification and whatever else people feel is important for UK BJJ.

I think that tournaments on 20mm jigsaw mats on tennis courts called 'the intergalactic bjj championships of the UK' are bad for the sport.

What if someone is badly injured because the mats area is too small or the mats too thin? Is that good for the sport? Does it reflect well on us as a whole?

What if there is inadequate (if any) medical provision? Is it good for the sport to see a doctor operate on himself on the mats?

I agree on guidelines can only be good for the sport.

are the same black belt representatives from previous going to be involved in this also. I think it's improtant to have an even spread of representatives from each academy and area of the UK and Ireland. Just to ensure peoples opinions are heard and it doesn't turn into a dictatorship.

'the intergalactic bjj championships of the UK' has a nice ring to it by the way

Wagon raises a very important point, democracy is good.

steve_langford

I also agree with insurance only if they meet certain standards.

wagon as a very good point you cant just have one academy/organisation feeding the GAA there input without members from other academy's/ organisation having there say, we all attend eachothers competitions so it would make sense to have maybe representatives from all corners of the uk, not saying that you didn't before because there was quite a broad filed of representatives from all academy's last time round but this time i think you could try a little harder to get everyone on board and mybe you might have more succsess this time round

and i will be in touch to renew my insurnce )
    Sponsored by : Tatami fight wear http://www.tatamifightwear.com/

Default Affiliation

The U.M.A. are pleased to hear that the G.A.A. are to continue, hence, the U.M.A. will continue its Affiliation with and support the G.A.A.
    Last edited by U.M.A.; 03-02-2010 at 04:41 PM. Reason: spelling
    Web: umauk.co.uk - Facebook: facebook.com/UnitedMartialAlliance - Twitter: twitter.com/UMA_NGB