Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My first ever Judo session.

steve_langford

Default My first ever Judo session.

I attended my first ever Judo session today at Wolverhampton Judo Club. The club is headed by Mac Abbott and Bill Kelly.

http://www.wolverhampton-judo-club.org.uk/

I was invited to the advance sessions because of my previous training in BJJ and freestyle wrestling etc.

The session was from 8pm - 9.30pm and was very very testing on me both mentally and physically........I loved it!!

There was a nice gentle warm up folowed by some entrance reps (excuse me , I am yet to learn the japanese termonology , sorry) then we did one for one throwing followed by some Ne Waza sparring and then Stand up sparring. We then ended the class with a strength and conditioning curcuit. I was blowing out of my ass!!

I cant big the club up enough!! I was made to be very welcome and the level is very high! you share the mat with Craig Fallon for example!!

I will defo be back there and cant wait to progress!!

My forearms , fingers and knuckles are killing me haha

Awesome mate, glad to hear you enjoyed it. My fingers still hurt every time I come home from BJJ. And my neck from practising triangles the other night, killed me even just moving i felt like a friggin owl!

I read your thread about back to basics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsC6hPPWVYI < Maybe this will help

I am currently doing BJJ twice a week and muay thai 3-4 times a week depending how nackered i am lol. I will make the transition in a year or 2 when i feel i am competent in a mixture of martial arts. Which i feel will help me in the long run. transition my ground game to no-gi and encorporate my thai skills.

I would still like to compete both in thai and BJJ when i start to do mma, i just won't be able to train all of them as there are only 7 days in a week unfortunately.

Glad to hear it though mate, best of luck with everything. Stripping your skill set back down to the source, i.e judo and thai or boxing or whatever you choose, can be the best thing. I feel it will help me a lot in the long run, as this is the path I am also on.

Ross
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

Niice one man.. awsum!! Did you not practise Breakfalls? They're basically the first think you'd learn in Judo.. very first think. If you can't break fall you'll be hurt when thrown..

We usually warm-up a little.. little stretch.. run through all break falls.. Tachi-waza 30 mins.. 5 minute break.. ne-wazza 30 mins.. Randori 15 mins .. warm down and stretch.. sometimes variies.
    Clubs will vary ii suppose.

GG

steve_langford

We used the break falls as the warm up kind of thing , forward rolls , backward rolls , cartwheels ... all that sort of stuff.

Is Tachi - Waza when you drill the entrys?? please excuse me

Steve

I apologize.. ii forgot that you'd allready stated you wern't fully aware of all the terms .. sorry man.

tachi-waza - Standing Techniques
    nage-waza - Throws//Throwing Techniques
    ne-waza - Ground Techniques
    shime-waza - Chokes & Strangles
    osaekomi - Hold downs or Pins
    kansetsu-waza - Joint locks
    Randori - Freestyle Sparring..

They are the Basic Fundamentals xD Hope iit helps you..
    Homeworkk for you haha..

GG

steve_langford

thanks for that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve_langford View Post
    We used the break falls as the warm up kind of thing , forward rolls , backward rolls , cartwheels ... all that sort of stuff.

Is Tachi - Waza when you drill the entrys?? please excuse me

Steve
    'Drilling the entrys' is called uchikomi.

When you drill and acctually throw them in said drill it's called 'nagekomi'.

And breaks falls are known as 'Ukemi', make sure you pay special attention to these as i broke my partners arm in randori throwing him with morote seoi nage only for him to put his arm out!

Make sure falling is second nature to you.

It really sounds like you had a great time. Excellent stuff.
    The Part Time Grappler - Just Google BJJ / Grappling Tips and you'll find me

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by liamwandi View Post
    It really sounds like you had a great time. Excellent stuff.
    I did mate, it was a great experience.

Proper competition Judo training will make you as hard as nails.