Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching and Training

Hybrid View

Default Teaching and Training

a question for those who teach AND train..

its open to people that teach any martial arts..just thought that i would post here as its the first place that i personally check when i go on this site..

Is it possible to do both and have a real job?

How do u get to train with teaching a class say a few days a week?

i understand the benifits of such a venture such as having a greater understanding of fundemental movements and breaking down manouvers so that every single detail is understood..thus enhancing ur own understanding..

BUT..where does the time for your own training come from?

How do u prepare properly if u are still actively competing?

If I am coaching I do the warm up then roll with the lads I tend to stay on and call out new fresh opponents every 5/8 min for about 40 min i think I get a better work out that way than when im just training in class as part of the team. If I am teaching Thai I do the warm up then hold the pads for the students at reg intervals or just join in the bag circuit
    WHO EVER SAYS they dont get enough time to train when coaching are lazy and kidding themselves IMO
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

I work full-time, train and teach a bit.

When teaching, most of the time I am just helping out in normal classes. So Chris is doing the main instruction and I just help people while they're drilling the techs. Apart from that part of class, I train as per any of the other students. On a Sunday morning and any time I cover for Chris I teach on my own - this can make it harder but I always try to train as normal. I'll do the warm-ups and join in the rolling most of the time, but it's not always possible if there are new students there who need extra attention to be shown what to do or shown basics of grappling before rolling etc. Also, sometimes when teaching I have to miss out on rolling if there are an even amount of students in the class... it's not really fair to tell someone to sit out when they are paying for the class imo.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

thanx guys..

any others?

i work full time and teach with a full time academy

i normaly do the warm up with the guys teach a technique then roll with them later, i dont find it that bad tbh, if i feel i need to improve my fitness etc i make time on the weekends, plus i'm quite luck to have pedro over twice a week mondays and thursdays in cardiff
    Sponsored by : Tatami fight wear http://www.tatamifightwear.com/

I disagree with joining in a class if your teaching it.

I think it's great for the student your rolling with but you are then not paying much attention to everyone else in the class.

If everyone in the class has paid to be taught by you then you should be instructing/coaching them all all of the time.

It's a bit like Alex Ferguson joining in a training game, it wont improve his team, he should be stood on the sideline coaching everyone on every detail.

I think you should be watching all the students all the time to pick up as many mistake or ways to improve from as many students as possible in the given time of the class.

On another note, imagine if a student had a bad accident during the lesson and the insurance company asked the instructor what he was doing at the time of the accident and he says "I was rolling with another student".
    BANG goes your insurance, and probably your house and car too !!

Quote Originally Posted by mafmaa View Post

I think it's great for the student your rolling with but you are then not paying much attention to everyone else in the class.

If everyone in the class has paid to be taught by you then you should be instructing/coaching them all all of the time.

It's a bit like Alex Ferguson joining in a training game, it wont improve his team, he should be stood on the sideline coaching everyone on every detail.

I think you should be watching all the students all the time to pick up as many mistake or ways to improve from as many students as possible in the given time of the class.

On another note, imagine if a student had a bad accident during the lesson and the insurance company asked the instructor what he was doing at the time of the accident and he says "I was rolling with another student".

...........JUST LOL!
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    ...........JUST LOL!
    Completelly agree..

Coaching Football and Playing it is COMPLETELLY DIFFERENT to say teaching grappling and then learning grappling.. Like Rob saiid; ''You can help students much more by rolling with them than just watching.''

And ii also agree with his comment about not being able to keep an eye on 10 pairs of people at the exact same time.. what if someone gets a biit frisky and accidentally hurts the person he's rolling with.. you expect the instructor to be there the exact same second its happening and stop it in process?

LMFAO! unfortunatelly superman doesn't teach BJJ.. haha

Instructors getting involved in classes evey now and agaiin is extremelly helpfull for the students as they learn soo soo much more..

GG

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by mafmaa View Post

Thats a fair comment I suppose. When I teach beginners at Wolfpack I spend the whole class focused on them. Theres always someone who needs help.

You can help students much more by rolling with them than just watching.

Also, what is going to happen while I'm rolling with someone else which I could have prevented if I wasn't? I'm always aware of what's going on in the class even when I'm rolling. I can't keep an eye on 10+ pairs of people even if I'm not rolling.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/