Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Some people have no morals where moneys concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bishop View Post
    This is becoming more and more common unfortunately and there's only one reason it's been introduced.
    I assume you mean money but is that the case? If there is no cost involved in being promoted then it's not about money. It may be indirectly by being an attempt to retain more students... but surely all academies want to retain as many students as possible for as long as possible?

I don't think extra belts matter or are necessarily wrong other than they are pandering to people who want promotions for the sake of it. This is the wrong attitude to training and I think indulging people in this way reflects poorly on the art. It could also be the start of a longer decline where we see more belts brought in, promotions for time/money reasons rather than ability and people who train just for promotions rather than to learn BJJ.

Stuff like this would put me off training with Liborio and Saulo, even though they are absolute legends.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

It can be frustrating for new students with the slow progress in attaining new belts in BJJ but for me that's one of the reasons I love it. When the belt comes it feels really special.

We use the stripes system at white belt nowadays to give people an idea of where they're at and keep them motivated and it works really well.

I don't like belts before blue for adults, that blue belt would feel less special using that system.

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    I assume you mean money but is that the case? If there is no cost involved in being promoted then it's not about money. It may be indirectly by being an attempt to retain more students... but surely all academies want to retain as many students as possible for as long as possible?

I don't think extra belts matter or are necessarily wrong other than they are pandering to people who want promotions for the sake of it. This is the wrong attitude to training and I think indulging people in this way reflects poorly on the art. It could also be the start of a longer decline where we see more belts brought in, promotions for time/money reasons rather than ability and people who train just for promotions rather than to learn BJJ.

Stuff like this would put me off training with Liborio and Saulo, even though they are absolute legends.
    I think it's a creative way to retain those students who start with enthusiasm but then drop off on the journey to blue belt. In some ways I can see that as a good thing but one of the things I love most about BJJ is the grading system. If you're in it for the belts then your motivation is just wrong. I completely agree with you that it's chipping away at the integrity of the art and should be resisted. I'd similarly be put off if this is what Saulo is doing

If people can't last until blue belt, BJJ is not for them.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    If people can't last until blue belt, BJJ is not for them.
    100% agree
    ICON Jiu Jitsu

The only bars i go to are Arm Bars, Knee Bars and a Mars Bar

steve_langford

Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    How easy they sell out there beliefs...

This guy does not look under 16 hummmmm
    seeig as though you were once a hardcore DeLaRiva gym. would you have used this system or refused it??

chen moraes gave me a green belt in 2000 which i wore with pride. he didnt charge me anything for promotion.

admitedly i didnt know any better at the time and when chen left i went back to white and got stripes before my blue.

personally i stick with the stripes system. But at the end of the day its down to the instructor not the student. I dont agree with refusing promotions.
    BJJ Brown Belt
    MMA Referee

I prefer stripe system.

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Shrek View Post
    If I was given a green belt off of Liborio or Saulo I'd be honoured to have been recognised by a legend of the sport.
    recognised as being too mediocre even for a blue belt? sfuk that.

in any case, whoever accused brazilians of having morals where money was concerned