Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Some people have no morals where moneys concerned!

Quote Originally Posted by Malcontent View Post
    It's shit like this that almost makes me think about turning away from the gi and just doing no gi.

I realise that the gi is an integral part of bjj and the belt/grading system in martial arts has been around for hundreds of years, but there seems to be something very pure about no gi.

The proving ground is on the mat, end of! Belts are immaterial. It cannot be corrupted as it's simply about how good you are in competitions. (Or at least it was until they started bring this coloured sash bollocks into it).
    im not sure why a bb giving someone a green belt would turn you away from the gi, and the nogi comp scene is riddled with sandbaggers due to the lack of definition between ability / experience levels!
    BJJ Brown Belt
    MMA Referee

just on a side note about kids belt, what happens if a kids belted a green belt then turns 16 or whatever do they wear that green belt or is it converted or do they get graded?

sorry just curious

back on topic, i like the system as it is. gives a belt real value if u have to work long and hard to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by facetofootstyle View Post
    just on a side note about kids belt, what happens if a kids belted a green belt then turns 16 or whatever do they wear that green belt or is it converted or do they get graded?
    Depending on the student, they'll either be graded to blue belt, or if they're exceptionally good, will receive their purple. But most of the time they'll go to blue.

James

Quote Originally Posted by facetofootstyle View Post
    At my club they go to White, they may be given a stripe/s, but it is a big step moving into the 16-18 year old division, and an even bigger one stepping into the adult categories.

Good points from Dave there.

James

Quote Originally Posted by TRIBULUS View Post
    stripes are part of the commonly accepted system of belts but green belts for adults aren't.

In my kids' karate class there are about 5 belts before yellow and the whole grading system is geared towards making money. At the end of the day if people are doing this for a living and face a choice of more money and compromising their beliefs or taking the moral high ground and staying skint most would compromise their beliefs for more money.
    That was truth.

One thing about the belt system I find in my dojo is that the belts are handed out for your 'on the mat' and competition performance.But also the for how long you have been there/attendance as well as technical ability and skill which doesnt always translate to being a tough jujitsuka.This I agree with because not everybody is an athlete or a born fighter,strong man etc.

I've always been led to believe that you get the belt once you can 'hang' with others at that belt level. If you can't match them, then you don't get the belt. Seems fair to me.

For the same reason, I don't like the handicap system in golf. If someone else is 10 strokes a round better that me, then they should just win every time.

Pretty much yeah. If you have a certain belt you would be expected to at least be able to make a fight of it with most guys the same size and age range.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/