Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Some people have no morals where moneys concerned!

My frens

I say this befor
    professor who give green belt is cock
    student who ware green belt is faggot
    Existem bons lutadores que praticam boas lutas, porém existem os melhores lutadores que praticam a melhor luta: JIUJITSU

www.faixarua.co.uk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pro Fighter
    Allan "No" Love
    Dinky Ninja

Or a child.

The funny thing is that if it is a child then that green belt means a lot, like a baby purple.

It's shit like this that almost makes me think about turning away from the gi and just doing no gi.

I realise that the gi is an integral part of bjj and the belt/grading system in martial arts has been around for hundreds of years, but there seems to be something very pure about no gi.

The proving ground is on the mat, end of! Belts are immaterial. It cannot be corrupted as it's simply about how good you are in competitions. (Or at least it was until they started bring this coloured sash bollocks into it).

Malcontent- Where I train (Carlson's London), there's no politics about belts. We just train. I do the same stuff as the higher or lower belts and so do they. I would say 99% of what you hear about politics would be from other teams or this forum. Also, Eddie Bravo has coloured shirts, instead of belts, so there's no getting away from it. It's your own 'Hotel California'

I had the Morales belt colour crap too. He gave me one for being a ref at a tournament. Felt completely worthless. I only felt that blue would be worth anything and anything else before was just to earn extra money.

I know a professional martial artist has to earn money, but there are better ways. I want my BJJ to feel 'real', not feel that I'm a cog in some money making machine.

FWIW, I think there would be a place for an extra belt, to differentiate between low and higher blues. I hold my own with other new blues, but get seriously caned by those who've had it a couple of years.

On that last point, that happens at all belts. I have smashed purples, I have been smashed by purples. You're right about politics though; there are none in GB Swansea or Cardiff and I've never come across any at Braulio's or from any of his other clubs.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by faithsdaddy View Post
    Malcontent- Where I train (Carlson's London), there's no politics about belts. We just train. I do the same stuff as the higher or lower belts and so do they. I would say 99% of what you hear about politics would be from other teams or this forum. Also, Eddie Bravo has coloured shirts, instead of belts, so there's no getting away from it. It's your own 'Hotel California'

I had the Morales belt colour crap too. He gave me one for being a ref at a tournament. Felt completely worthless. I only felt that blue would be worth anything and anything else before was just to earn extra money.

I know a professional martial artist has to earn money, but there are better ways. I want my BJJ to feel 'real', not feel that I'm a cog in some money making machine.

FWIW, I think there would be a place for an extra belt, to differentiate between low and higher blues. I hold my own with other new blues, but get seriously caned by those who've had it a couple of years.
    HAHAHAHA, small world!!! I train at Carlsons too mate and I know that what you say is true. You'll only get a belt out of Simon, Dickie and Wilson for what you can do on the mat, not for what you put in their bank accounts. Of that I am absolutely certain.

Unfortunately I have trained at other places (pre Carlsons) where I got the distinct impression that progress could be purchased without all the hard work.

The fact that such attitudes and academies exist at all is what leaves me feeling a little disillusioned.

Yeah, but people have nogi grades too and Ari Bolden went straight to purple under Eddie Bravo. 10th Planet affiliation fees are about $2k a year I think. Don't judge the majority by the actions of a few.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Yeah, but people have nogi grades too and Ari Bolden went straight to purple under Eddie Bravo. 10th Planet affiliation fees are about $2k a year I think. Don't judge the majority by the actions of a few.
    Yes, very true.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I actually feel a real hatred for no gi gradings. I can't quite verbalise why it is or if it's even rational, but it's there nonetheless. It burns.

heres how it should be ( and was in the UK )

Kids getting kids belts
    ‎"He who goes to bed with itchy bum, wake up with stinky finger."