Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Barra and its rules.

I don't understand you have gone to a GB gym expecting to learn striking?
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

We do expect people to follow some of those guidelines but BJJ shouldn't be too formal IMO, that was one of the things that attracted me to it in the first place.

Lol this is funny, reminds me of the history of Christianity, how it started out fighting silly rules and ended up being a religion of pedantry, unlike the message that Jesus brought.

By the same token BJJ used to be the 'anti-bullshit' martial arts, devoid of absurd rules and cultish personality worship and with a close adherence to the idea of protecting oneself in a fight, yet some BJJ schools have adopted the worst excesses of Karate and Kung Fu schools in an effort to make as much money as possible.

Power corrupts.

Quote Originally Posted by IranianWarMachine View Post
    I don't understand you have gone to a GB gym expecting to learn striking?
    Sorry take downs(wrestling or judo).
    Last edited by SwiftMotion; 05-02-2010 at 04:32 PM.

My thoughts on the rules...

1.Bow to the center of the mat when you enter.
    Silly.

2.Bow to the centre of the mat when you exit.
    Silly.

3.Keep a respectful posture on the dojo.
    Not even sure what this means. No slouching? Doesn't bother me how people sit. Weird.

4.Classes begin with a formal bow to the instructor with students lining up in descending grade order.
    Just end with everyone shaking hands.

5.Classes end with a formal bow to the instructor and then to the picture of Carlos Gracie Senior.
    No thanks.

6.During Class, when the instructor is demonstrating the techniques, every student must sit in seize.
    Why? People need to be able to stand/lie down etc so more people can see clearly.

7.For safety reasons, if you are late sit by the side of the mat and wait for the permission from the Professor.
    Sensible.

8.For safety reasons, if you need to leave the mat or leave earlier you must ask permission from the Professor.
    Don't ask permission, just make sure the instructor knows.

9.Bow to your partner before and after practice.
    Slap hands/bump fists - but no need to make it a rule.

10.Talking should be kept to a minimum level and should relate to the class subject.
    While training, yeah. During water breaks talk as much as you want about whatever you want.

11.Absolutely no foul language inside the school.
    Only if kids are present, otherwise no worries.

12.Do not belch inside the dojo.
    lol

13.Keep finger and toe nails short for everyones safety.
    For sure.

14.All students must wear the official Gracie Barra uniform. The uniform pants and top must be the same color.
    Wear whatever gi you want.

15.It is mandatory to wear a t-shirt or rash guard underneath the Kimono.
    Don't see the point plus it's illegal in competition!

16.The Kimono must be washed at least once a weekly. A dirty kimono is a sign of disrespect.
    Once a week? This rule is bizarre considering the other ones. Wash your gi after every time you use it!!

17.The Kimono must be worn at all times.
    Why? Obviously while training.

18.When tying the Kimono, face the wall.
    Um?

19.The belt is represents your progress. Keep it on.
    Why would anyone purposely take their belt off?

20.Refer to Black-Belt Instructors as “Professor” and to Carlos Gracie Jr. as “Master”.
    Not bothered. Even when I'm a black belt I will specifically ask people NOT to call me professor, my name will do

21.All metal objects, jewelry, piercing, neckless or other such items should be removed.
    Sensible.

22.No shoes, food or drink on the mat.
    Drinks are cool, I would expect adults to be able to drink them without spilling anything on the mat.

23.No Cell Phones in the dojo area.
    Don't see the problem with letting people use phones.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Gracie Barra Sheffield isn't run like that. Although he earns a living from it, the instructor (John Goldson) does it because he loves it. You don't have to wear the official Gi or anything like that. We do have to wear a rash guard under our gi. I personally agree with this (for hygience reasons and rancid sweaty chest hair in your face aint nice).

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    What does courtesy have to do with it? Why face a wall when tying a belt? I feel it's demeaning to make people do something as pointless as that.
    It is rude to be dressing yourself whilst you're facing the instructor and students and it's general etiquette to turn away to a wall and do up your belt. It's also disrespectful to be generally scruffy and not have your belt on properly when you're on the mats. It's called etiquette. Something which No-Gi and MMA Fighters can't seem to comprehend

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    It is rude to be dressing yourself whilst you're facing the instructor and students and it's general etiquette to turn away to a wall and do up your belt. It's also disrespectful to be generally scruffy and not have your belt on properly when you're on the mats. It's called etiquette. Something which No-Gi and MMA Fighters can't seem to comprehend
    lol at this bollocks.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftMotion View Post
    I understand that people have to make money.I like the way that GB is run like a business as it gives the opportunity for instructors to go full time and run a clean professional gym.I get the fact that if everyone wears white Gi's or certain colour gi's it looks better.

But in my GB gym you have to wear a rash vest underneath your Gi.Theres no weights section or even a kettle bell in sight allowed.No bags nothing.They do stand up techniques every session but no stand sparring/randori so basically there stand up is poor neither do they allow you to practice stand up after class.You do a standard warm up no cool movement drills or sport specific warm ups.
    We have to buy a GB gi and rash vest,in 6 months my gi pants tore.The other guys replace there gi's often and everybody knows they are bad quality gi's sold to us for respectable dollar $180.

So there you are supporting the GB foundation at comps with a crappy gi which your forced to wear and no stand up skills.
    However their jujistu is excellent and the coaching is really good.My instructor is a cool guy but this whole idea of GB and having his poster on the wall when I bow whilst he's in the states.I dont even know what he's done for jujitsu when I think of legends its Rorion,Rickson,Royce,Royler,Helio,Carlos,Carlson,R enzo and the rest.Plus buying his cheapo gi sheesh ill spend a few extra dollars for a decent gi man if he wants me to but give me a decent product.Its like being back at school after a days work.Its bullshido.I just want to train and enjoy myself and my freedom.
    Stop trolling. Go away.

It's obvious you aren't part of Gracie Barra or are a creonte.

Weird post. Why can't someone criticise their team without being a troll or "creonte"?