Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Gracie Barra and its rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    Weird post. Why can't someone criticise their team without being a troll or "creonte"?
    Nothing weird about it. I can tell by his tone and the words he chooses that he's just trolling. I've seen this kind of argument many times before.

He seems more interested in just diminishing Gracie Barra rather than criticizing one aspect.

He has a whole laundry list of complaints. Some do not even make sense, such as having heavy bags and weights. It's a Jiu Jitsu gym not a kickboxing facility or weight training facility.

Quote Originally Posted by SwiftMotion View Post
    Sorry take downs(wrestling or judo).
    Then go to a wrestling or judo gym, like i do, most wrestling gyms are cheap as chips.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

I just checked his post history and it was as I suspected. He's very disgruntled about places he's trained at.

SwiftMotion:
    "I believe in having loyalty to your instructor or club but what about when your club fails you as a student or if the club simply does not meet your needs.
    For instances I trained at a club for 3 months but they only offered 3 sessions a week where I am use to 5 or preferably an everyday option.It just was'nt enough and I decided to move on where I gained better instructors and of course 6 days a week training,the one student branded me a traitor etc when I met him the one day.All i did was sign up,train with them win a gold for them and leave.
    Thing is due to instructors moving and myself traveling etc i've been through 6 clubs each choice due to my needs best instruction,location,training regime,facilities namely big enough mat.
    So where does a man place himself because ive been told that you have to prescribe to a lineage or affiliation at some stage by brown or black belt level?

What happens when your gym becomes uber successful and the mats become full of whites and blues which you need to coach etc and begin to neglect your own jujitsu,mat time,mat space.Is it not up to your instructors or club to accommodate your progression?Due to the nature of our sport it is competitive and if your a proper jujitsuka you will seek the best training and circumstances to improve your game.Or do you remain loyal no matter what."

Agreed, some of it is silly.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLeeMMAfighting.net View Post
    Nothing weird about it. I can tell by his tone and the words he chooses that he's just trolling. I've seen this kind of argument many times before.

He seems more interested in just diminishing Gracie Barra rather than criticizing one aspect.

He has a whole laundry list of complaints. Some do not even make sense, such as having heavy bags and weights. It's a Jiu Jitsu gym not a kickboxing facility or weight training facility.
    My aim is not to diminish GB,its not a personal attack.As for myself being disgruntled about previous clubs I have been in well,that's just not true at all.I would however say that because I have been in 6 clubs 'Mostly because of traveling and instructors leaving hence a name change' that I would likely miss other aspects of the previous clubs.
    You have to respect Gracie Barra and its many supporters,its a good organisation and Im privileged to learn their jujitsu.Both of my posts had their objectives and both times I have recieved the variety of opinions I had hoped for so I'm happy about the results even if I have to stand on a few toes to get it or seem petty.My literary skills can always be criticised for sure,as they there to evoke a reaction.

As for my laundry list of complaints,well my only answer to that would be do you agree with the american styled GB rules.Yes or no.

I don't expect a weights section but I wouldn't mind to be able to purchase a kettle bell and leave it in the corner or just 5 min of take down practice after our session.But no due to the list of American GB rules I'm not allowed.I just dont like the idea of some else using there position to create influence over others.Good sound rules and practice and respect are an integral part of Martial arts I enjoy being told to bow to the matt because its a spiritual place.But not somebodies picture no,should we have pictures of our legends and give them homage absolutely and in my own time I can choose to bow to them.

The fact that I have to purchase a GB gi that is of poor quality not just once but all my gi's in the future and watch them tear whilst I pay top dollar and bow to his picture.Thats gotta be a bit frustrating.My argument lies with the conformity.I found out that not all GB academy's within the GB community conform to these standards or uphold them.

Thanks Rob T for your opinion it was well informed with good delivery.Bruceleemmafighting,I genuinely Luv the criticism bro.Its like jujitsu,you think your the man and then you get slammed,its beautiful.
    Ive said my piece about the GB america thing so I'm done with it,just wanted to hear a few opinions.
    Last edited by SwiftMotion; 06-02-2010 at 04:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IranianWarMachine View Post
    Then go to a wrestling or judo gym, like i do, most wrestling gyms are cheap as chips.
    Your totally right bro.Im gonaa make it happen I swear.I just need a year of focusing on my take downs even if its just once a week.Hope your loving the stand up your doing.

[Quote] Stop trolling. Go away.
    It's obvious you aren't part of Gracie Barra or are a creonte.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceLeeMMAfighting.net View Post

I just checked his post history and it was as I suspected. He's very disgruntled about places he's trained at.

Are you sure that I'm the one who is disgruntled?
    Last edited by SwiftMotion; 06-02-2010 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IranianWarMachine View Post
    wrestling gyms dont grow on trees you know.

Quote Originally Posted by vileniall View Post
    wrestling gyms dont grow on trees you know.
    And they don't hide in back alleys either, its called google my friend, judo dojos aren't hard to come across either.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob T View Post
    My thoughts on the rules...

1.Bow to the center of the mat when you enter.
    Silly.

2.Bow to the centre of the mat when you exit.
    Silly.

3.Keep a respectful posture on the dojo.
    Not even sure what this means. No slouching? Doesn't bother me how people sit. Weird.

4.Classes begin with a formal bow to the instructor with students lining up in descending grade order.
    Just end with everyone shaking hands.

5.Classes end with a formal bow to the instructor and then to the picture of Carlos Gracie Senior.
    No thanks.

6.During Class, when the instructor is demonstrating the techniques, every student must sit in seize.
    Why? People need to be able to stand/lie down etc so more people can see clearly.

7.For safety reasons, if you are late sit by the side of the mat and wait for the permission from the Professor.
    Sensible.

8.For safety reasons, if you need to leave the mat or leave earlier you must ask permission from the Professor.
    Don't ask permission, just make sure the instructor knows.

9.Bow to your partner before and after practice.
    Slap hands/bump fists - but no need to make it a rule.

10.Talking should be kept to a minimum level and should relate to the class subject.
    While training, yeah. During water breaks talk as much as you want about whatever you want.

11.Absolutely no foul language inside the school.
    Only if kids are present, otherwise no worries.

12.Do not belch inside the dojo.
    lol

13.Keep finger and toe nails short for everyones safety.
    For sure.

14.All students must wear the official Gracie Barra uniform. The uniform pants and top must be the same color.
    Wear whatever gi you want.

15.It is mandatory to wear a t-shirt or rash guard underneath the Kimono.
    Don't see the point plus it's illegal in competition!

16.The Kimono must be washed at least once a weekly. A dirty kimono is a sign of disrespect.
    Once a week? This rule is bizarre considering the other ones. Wash your gi after every time you use it!!

17.The Kimono must be worn at all times.
    Why? Obviously while training.

18.When tying the Kimono, face the wall.
    Um?

19.The belt is represents your progress. Keep it on.
    Why would anyone purposely take their belt off?

20.Refer to Black-Belt Instructors as “Professor” and to Carlos Gracie Jr. as “Master”.
    Not bothered. Even when I'm a black belt I will specifically ask people NOT to call me professor, my name will do

21.All metal objects, jewelry, piercing, neckless or other such items should be removed.
    Sensible.

22.No shoes, food or drink on the mat.
    Drinks are cool, I would expect adults to be able to drink them without spilling anything on the mat.

23.No Cell Phones in the dojo area.
    Don't see the problem with letting people use phones.
    First, I think this is more about guidelines than strict rules.
    90% of the instructors will not require you to ask them permission to walk out of the mat but 90% of the people understand that you should let them know and in most of the cases it works well like that. Obviously if you take each rule you can always find some extreme cases however in large I am satisfied with those rules, when you join to practice BJJ it's not the street or some free fight in a bar, this is a martial art and if you can bear with the rules then obviously you are at the wrong place my friend.

For example bow when you enter and when you leave the mat is absolutely nomal, same goes with no foul language...I mean no offense but when I read your post I was happy to no train with you, I am sure you are a great guy, but if you want to run everywhere and just grab people, spar and then go back home, if you are not able to control yourself, show some respect and some discipline then do something else. This is not just a sport, it's a martial art and unfortunately a lot of people just don't get it, they see some bug dude doing some armbar at the UFC and they run straight into the first BJJ class and they don't understand why they have some rules...

And finally 99% of the people training BJJ under Gracie Barra all know that those rules are not all enforced and not always at the level described here. In my case my instructor let us obviously bring drinks on the side of the mat, no need to bow with your openent (check/slap hands is fine), but he has already asked people to stop using foul language and also told a few times people to bow when they exit the mat.

The rest of the rules we can discuss if it is always good or bad but some rules are necessary and I am absolutely in favor of it.