Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First time Gi?

My american top team gi fits me perfectly, but I have a really overlarge white gi that I also use. I often dangle my extra large sleeves in front of my opponents to pull them into a false sense of security when I fight.

i'm about 5'10'' and was 18st when i bought my last gi, about 17.5st now chest about 44'', waist about 38'', so same ballpark as you probably
    i've got two A4 size Black Eagles, one single weave and one gold weave. both shrunk via a 60 degree wash and then a 40 degree wash.
    fit me really well, especially the gold weave top as the washes got the sleeve length right for me, but the gold weave trousers are longer than the single weave trousers and so are unfortunately too long for me

i'm fairly new to jiu jitsu and would say from my limited expereince that there doesn't appear to be a huge difference between manufacturers at any given price point (in terms of quality) but that a lot of gi sizing varies and the only accurate way of measuring is really to either try on seomeone else's or ask teamates/instructors - especially beacuse of optional/intentional gi shrinking.

with my first jiu jitsu specific gi i chose to go with a uk brand partly to support them as they support the scene, and also because they gave me good sizing help over the phone and had a decent returns policy

also, if you search for 'Meerkatsu blog' in google, he's done a pretty helpful article on the subject recently

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by jasmos View Post
    i'm about 5'10'' and was 18st when i bought my last gi, about 17.5st now chest about 44'', waist about 38'', so same ballpark as you probably
    i've got two A4 size Black Eagles, one single weave and one gold weave. both shrunk via a 60 degree wash and then a 40 degree wash.
    fit me really well, especially the gold weave top as the washes got the sleeve length right for me, but the gold weave trousers are longer than the single weave trousers and so are unfortunately too long for me

i'm fairly new to jiu jitsu and would say from my limited expereince that there doesn't appear to be a huge difference between manufacturers at any given price point (in terms of quality) but that a lot of gi sizing varies and the only accurate way of measuring is really to either try on seomeone else's or ask teamates/instructors - especially beacuse of optional/intentional gi shrinking.

with my first jiu jitsu specific gi i chose to go with a uk brand partly to support them as they support the scene, and also because they gave me good sizing help over the phone and had a decent returns policy

also, if you search for 'Meerkatsu blog' in google, he's done a pretty helpful article on the subject recently

cheers
    what is the difference in the weaves? i mean single is obv. gonna be lighter but i mean between mundial and gold weave?\

at the moment it looks like the koral classic gi...

I have 2 Korals and don't think I would buy another. My white MKM is still going strong but its much stiffer and less comfortable than my Faixa Rua. I also have a Vulkan an dits great as it dries so quickly. Korals are also around the 140 mark which is way overpriced imo.

I would recommend a Faixa Rua or a Black Eagle, both make excellent Gis at a very competitive price.
    Celtic Pride Martial Arts, Abertillery, Gwent
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thai Boxing
    Mixed Martial Arts

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

that's strange. I have a koral light which I think is a decent gi

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bishop View Post
    that's strange. I have a koral light which I think is a decent gi
    I almost bought a Koral light but tbh I'm glad I didn't, even though they are better priced than the MKM's and Classics, to me they seemed to be made from tea towel material. I've also seen a few ripped.

The MKM and Classic are decent enough but as I said, way overpriced.
    Celtic Pride Martial Arts, Abertillery, Gwent
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Thai Boxing
    Mixed Martial Arts

thats awesome, helped a lot thankyou... ill keep looking for now.. see what the guys at the sessions say..

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I almost bought a Koral light but tbh I'm glad I didn't, even though they are better priced than the MKM's and Classics, to me they seemed to be made from tea towel material. I've also seen a few ripped.

The MKM and Classic are decent enough but as I said, way overpriced.
    There's a few guys at mine with the light and I'd never heard of any rippage before. I have a classic as well but that's probably my least favourite gi. I find it really uncomfortable but I seem to remember someone on here ranking it their favourite ever gi.

Just highlights meerkatsu's advice earlier and in his blog

Just a sneak preview guys, I am currently road testing and reviewing:
    Black Eagle single vs Tatami fightwear Zero G vs Malvado Fightwear gi
    All British makes, all single weave, all lightweight, all around 60.
    Hmmm, which one will win the Battle of the British gis???
    It will all be documented in anally retentive detail (shrinkage, cut, weave, design, etc) on my blog at some point in next few weeks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog