Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: James Thompson causes riot at Strike Box

Default James Thompson causes riot at Strike Box

from mmatraining.com

In what was billed as a fighting league that would change the face of martial arts forever, Montrealís Strike Box did not get off to the start they were looking for Friday night. In the main event fans threw beer cans and chairs into the cage after the fight between James Thompson and Steve Bosse escalated to a ridiculous height.

Sources say that the rules of Strike Box were not accepted by the provinces athletic commission in time for the event. (Those rules were similar to Muay Thai and the Japanese Shoot Boxing federal, where there is no ground fighting, but you can execute takedowns and standing submissions.)

Because of this, the event had to be held under MMA rules. But prior to the fights, each fighter agreed that they would fight under the original Strike Box rules, as a gentlemenís agreement. But technically each fight would be fought under MMA rules so the referee could not stop anything that was allowed in MMA.

Not one single fight had any ground fighting until the main event. Former Pride and EliteXC veteran James Thompson vs. Former hockey enforce Steve Bosse took to the cage. Right away Thompson shot in on Bosse and took him to the ground. He then moved to side mount and starts raining down punches and elbows on Bosse. Eventually landing in full mount with more punches and elbows. Referee Yves Lavigne had no choice but to let the fight continue, since technically it was an MMA fight.

The fans began booing, not realizing what was happening and eventually tossed beer cans into the cage as the fight played out. Then a few chairs were thrown into the ring as a near riot broke out. Referee Yves Lavigne was forced to call a stop to the action and finally had to throw Bosse out of the cage for tossing a beer can at Thompson.

The fight was scored a no contest and from the sounds of things, it is unlikely Strike Box will be able to hold another event in Quebec again.

Stay tuned for more details.
    http://www.mmatraining.com/featured/...s-nearly-riot/

lol sounds like fun

James is a pro fighter at the end of the day and if its mma rules he cant risk a shitty loss on his record was right to shoot in......

if he agreed to fight strikebox rules why did he shoot in and start raining punches

I heard Hatchetman was there and his wife who is 374 months pregnant got hit on the head with a bottle

(sorry Andy, beat you to it)
    Gary.

Doesn't have a signature anymore

i guess you shouldt let an mma fighter fight under mma rules and expect him not to do what he trains for. The riot will be an awesome memory and a great story to tell.

Sounds like Thompson was dominating. Glad to see him get back on track, despite the NC, still a win in my books.

any links, any vids, that sounds awesome.
    STUART WELLS 2-2-0

Quote Originally Posted by TheUnfitOne View Post
    I heard Hatchetman was there and his wife who is 374 months pregnant got hit on the head with a bottle

(sorry Andy, beat you to it)
    lol lol

Old school posters know about this

The behaviour of the Canadians was disgusting. I was there with my mate Dan O Donut and as has been suggested my havilly pregnant wife was hit with a beer can.

I wont be attending any events in Canada again after what happened. Thankfully DoD knows some 'street stuff' and managed to safely get us all out away from the crazed hockey hoodlums.

On a more positive note James did what was required and despite the result won in a dominating performance.
    I SPEAK ONLY THE TRUTH, I SAY THINGS THAT PEOPLE THINK BUT HAVE NOT THE BOTTLE TO SAY. I CAN PREDICT THE FUTURE. I AM WHO I AM IF YOU DONT LIKE IT DONT READ IT. IF ITS NOT TRUE WHY ARE YOU BITING