Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flexibility training

Default Flexibility training

Hey chaps what kind of stuff do you guys do to improve your flexibility for bjj?

Someone on here who attended a JC Santanta seminar said he had some interesting things to say regarding flexibility training, but never said what it was or replied again in the thread. Post here whoever said that!

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

I stretch every day and at 38 am the most flexible person in my club. That said, a friend I recently started teaching BJJ is a huge yoga nut, who's done it for the last 12 years and some of the stretches he's shown me are fantastic. So many benefits to stretching and yet I see so many people do it in a really perfunctory way

Stretching is an art form unto itself.Its so important in jujitsu and people dont give it enough priority.My best advice is to get a book or attend a stretching class of sorts.However you could probably get a very respectable amount info from youtube/internet.Theres a guy 'elastic steel' who does stretches specifically for jitsu.However the basic stretches that everyone does usually work really well,Ive found its something that becomes a personal formulation of what stretches you prefer and enjoy.Good breathing is also really important.sheesh man to be honest just get a few tips from a yoga guy or your instructor.I stretch straight after every session for 10min its relaxing and so beneficial and i'm convinced its gonna save me from a serious injury in the future if it hasn't already,especially the neck.
    Not to mention that it opens up your jitsu game as your body can rotate and move more freely with greater dexterity.
    Last edited by SwiftMotion; 09-02-2010 at 09:41 AM.

MMAMAN: Here’s what I’ve done in the past: http://kombatclinic.com/2010/01/stre...for-the-guard/ coming into BJJ my grappling background was primarily Judo so one peculiar position to BJJ that I found difficult was the guard so I spent a lot of time working on flexibility at the Ilio/glutual and adductor regions surrounding the hip.

Look at guys like Ricardo Goded, Nino Schembri, Eddie Bravo (I know people knock him but his flexibility in various structures in awesome), Marcio Cruz, Rubens Charles, Roberto Magalhaes, Shawn Williams and Ryan Hall. They all have awesome guard work and excellent dexterity so try to find what they are doing about developing flexibility, some may be innately flexibility but I would imagine that the vast majority struggled like us.

Yoga (Bikram) is a great starting place, and if you live near a bigger city there is bound to be a class but remember the flexibility has to be functional.

All the best with it man!
    Regards,
    David Webb
    The Tokon Academy
    http://www.tokonacademy.com
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Judo - Submission Wrestling
    -------------------
    KombatClinic.com
    http://www.kombatclinic.com
    Your online digital magazine dedicated to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo & Submission Grappling

Its not his cup you can feel.... Mike Bishop's Avatar

all my friends who are yoga enthusiasts tell me to stay away from Bikram. That said I've done a couple of classes filled with hot sweaty chicks so it can't be that bad

I've had a go at most Yoga schools of thought and I think it is the combination of poses, positions, breathing and the room temperature (helps mobilise the joints) that appealed most. Hot sweaty chicks in next to nothing is ALWAYS a good thing.

Having said that strecthing at home is just a beneficial mate and it's free!
    Regards,
    David Webb
    The Tokon Academy
    http://www.tokonacademy.com
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - Judo - Submission Wrestling
    -------------------
    KombatClinic.com
    http://www.kombatclinic.com
    Your online digital magazine dedicated to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Judo & Submission Grappling

Thanks guys especially david webb that link really helps cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bishop View Post
    I stretch every day and at 38 am the most flexible person in my club. That said, a friend I recently started teaching BJJ is a huge yoga nut, who's done it for the last 12 years and some of the stretches he's shown me are fantastic. So many benefits to stretching and yet I see so many people do it in a really perfunctory way
    Make a video and share it, you flexible bastard :P help us beginners and stiff people out.
    How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies

how long do you guys normally hold a strech for?