Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Combat sports open trials

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    I should be doing every round of Combat Sports, plus Grapple and Strike 1 & 3. And hopefully the finals of both.

So I'll be around. No rush. Welterweight? ^_-
    Yeah I'm a welterweight, I intend on doing rounds 2 & 3 of both and if by some miracle I get through the finals, though that was also the plan last year and I ended up not being able to even train after may

how have you found the transition from Bjj to amateur? Has it made you work on different areas of your grappling or do you have two distinct strategies/styles?

Honestly, for my run at the MMA league, I just let myself get taken down or jumped guard, and then treated it like a BJJ match. Which worked well enough, to be honest. I'm trying now to work a bit more for the takedown, put the guy on his back, get dominant position and finish. After all, I aim to fight Pro one day, and I'm not a BJJ World Champion, so pulling guard is less of an option.

The big problem with Amateur MMA (particularly in CST and G&S) is the time limit. Most people who get tapped end up in back and forth rolling and get caught. If one guy closes up, it's very very hard to tap someone in 4 minutes (particularly when you're a bit smaller than them). MMA League was 5, which was a bit better, and my BJJ matches are now 8 (!!!), so it's a bit of a switch in mentality. Maybe next time I'll try to be more aggressive. Don't know, really. Just figure it out as I go. ^_-

Take care,

Stalks
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Stalkachu, were you the guy in the hayabusa shorts that i was told was a european bjj champ, if so it was great to watch a really skilled grappler.

Wasn't my finest day of grappling, to be honest, but yeah, that was me. The mateless guy over in the corner. ^_-
    Grappling Record: 215 W (134 SUBs) - 85 L (13 SUBs) - 2 D
    Amateur MMA Record: 15 W (14 SUBs) - 0 L - 2 D

The Jiujitsu Game - A Competitor's Videolog

Proudly sponsored by Black Eagle & Scramble

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stalkachu View Post
    Honestly, for my run at the MMA league, I just let myself get taken down or jumped guard, and then treated it like a BJJ match. Which worked well enough, to be honest. I'm trying now to work a bit more for the takedown, put the guy on his back, get dominant position and finish. After all, I aim to fight Pro one day, and I'm not a BJJ World Champion, so pulling guard is less of an option.

The big problem with Amateur MMA (particularly in CST and G&S) is the time limit. Most people who get tapped end up in back and forth rolling and get caught. If one guy closes up, it's very very hard to tap someone in 4 minutes (particularly when you're a bit smaller than them). MMA League was 5, which was a bit better, and my BJJ matches are now 8 (!!!), so it's a bit of a switch in mentality. Maybe next time I'll try to be more aggressive. Don't know, really. Just figure it out as I go. ^_-

Take care,

Stalks
    I think u need to go pro or semi pro. Hanging about in da amatuers is only gud for one season i think epsecially wit ur record.

Its Time to step up bro!

Quote Originally Posted by freedomfighten View Post
    I think u need to go pro or semi pro. Hanging about in da amatuers is only gud for one season i think epsecially wit ur record.

Its Time to step up bro!
    ......Why?

He's a brown belt who has like a gizzilion matches and is 11-0 at amature.

BIt harsh if say a 18 year old noob has to fight him.
    BJJ White belt, 2 stripes.

General badmotherfucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Williams View Post

So? It's good experience for the 18 year old isn't it.

My first fight I was up against someone with 17 odd semi pro and amateur fights. I learned a fair bit from that. Plus, at least you get a good quality fight at the Combat Sports Open (well you get a mixed bag). It can be daunting being up against a more experienced guy, but you just gotta get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Williams View Post

I get what you're saying but if the 'noob' is sensible he can learn and without much risk of getting hurt. Even though I know Oli would beat me I'd rather face him than a guy with a load of Thai experience who has the potential to seriously smash me up