Thread: What weight class to choose...

Default What weight class to choose...

Hi all,

A common problem (and obsessive issue) for many BJJ/No gi grapplers is determining what weight class they want to compete in. I myself have this issue and have looked at several articles from respectable names in the game whom have very different opinions on the subject.

I weigh 77kg without the gi (79kg roughly with the gi) but could make the 76kg lightweight category if i made some consistent lifestyle changes- i.e dieting/ methods of training.

Does it even make a difference? What are the pro's and cons for going down a weight or fighting in the middle of a weight class but being your natural weight? Has anyone on this forum had similar thoughts/issues on the same subject?

Cheers

Firebird

How tall are you. How much body fat do you have ? How bad is your diet at the moment ? How often do you training bjj/nogi ? Do you doing any conditioning or strength work ? If so how often and what ?

5ft10", not sure what % body fat, diet is varied- i have quite a high pressure/stress job so when i have the time i eat quite well however i cannot schedule my meals and so my eating habits/times vary significantly. I train 3/4 times week and have trained for 4 1/2 years, conditioning only in the form of the bjj/no gi training- although i do some weights but again due to time constraints this is varied and in no set schedule.

Cheers

You could try doing the extreme cutting weight thing for one comp just to see if your lifestyle can make the adaptations. If it works out, then do it for all comps, if not, then do what I think is the sensible option,ie fight at yoru comfortable weight and just concentrate on your game rather than obsessing over weight. Me personally, I just don't have the discipline or inclination to cut weight (I'm light enough as it is).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Meerkatsu's BJJ Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Meerkatsu View Post
    You could try doing the extreme cutting weight thing for one comp just to see if your lifestyle can make the adaptations. If it works out, then do it for all comps, if not, then do what I think is the sensible option,ie fight at yoru comfortable weight and just concentrate on your game rather than obsessing over weight. Me personally, I just don't have the discipline or inclination to cut weight (I'm light enough as it is).
    Good comment.I rekon becoming optimum at your natural weight class is a good way to go.Your more comfortable,dont have to make drastic changes etc and probably a healthier option.However if you find that you are naturally dropping weight maybe due to a change in diet or fat % which is whats happening to me now due to my diet.Well then to fight in the lower weight category can be a bonus.Personally I like the idea of going into a comp knowing that I can eat a full meal the night before and as much water or fluids as I choose to have on the day.You gotta ask yourself if its really worth it.Its not gonna make you a more skilled fighter and its only for comps which is what a couple of days of the year in your life.Those are my thoughts.

I am pretty much the same as you...

Normal fighting weight if I'm not dieting and training hard is 77kg (without the gi). I have been as low as 75kg (twice) but didn't stay there for long. Still, I reckon I could get to 74 fairly easily if I wanted to.

I've only ever fought under 82.3 for BJJ so far and I've never felt particularly weak at that weight... I'm also normally taller than my opponents (at just short of 6'). I think only 3 times I've ever fought someone taller.

So fighting middle is fine for me, I don't think I lose out really, but I would like to do light at least once... it's just being able to prepare properly which has been the problem that has stopped me so far.
    http://www.ChrisReesAcademy.com - http://thetattooedchimp.blogspot.co.uk/

As has been mentioned above, the main figure that you need to consider is your body fat %

Loosing body fat over a long period of time is not going to effect your performance. Using certain methods to 'cut weight' in the weeks/hours before the competition can have a major effect on performance.

The BIG difference between making weight for BJJ and other weight category sports is that BJJ is unique in that you weigh-in literally minutes before you fight. This gives you no time to atempt to re-hydrate or replace energy stores that may have been reduced during the weight cut.

I am quite lean already at 77kg, i have fought in amateur MMA at 72.6kg when i weighed in although i did lose muscle mass when i did this.
    I think with the time constraints of my job i am in a situation where i find it hard to put weight on due to the fact its a job itself getting extra calorie intake and, also, i have cut weight before for a comp (6 pounds in around 3 days) and it seriously effected my performance.
    I compete at purple belt so when you start to get to more advanced categorys i feel you need to be at the best weight class possible as every little advantage is best.
    Some guys must be good at shedding pounds the week before the comp, i suppose its a science hey...

I'd lose the weight personally. I boxed at under 67kg, and I walk around at 73kg, with only a very small amount of dehydration. 3kg isn't that much to lose unless you're ripped to the bones.

Depends though, if dieting and weight-loss saps your soul and makes the whole thing a chore rather than fun, it might not be worth it.

Ask yourself this question. Would you rather be the most well nourished and hydrated fighter in the middle of a weight category or a starving, dehydrated wreck at the top of a lower weight category? Dehydrating is out for BJJ comp.