Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BJJ for self defence.

Quote Originally Posted by 123 MMA View Post
    BJJ can help you a lot but I believe the Gracie's are very wrong and arrogant to call it a "complete self defence art" and that you dont need anything else for fighting.

Imo, a top striker like Melvin Manhoef (using him because all he has is striking) would absolutely destroy pure top BJJ guys who dont have anything else in a fight.
    i dont know about that but maybe, i think the general Consensus is that a pure grappler would beat a pure striker. anyway i dont think manhoef is a good example as its more genetic with his huge k.o power and speed. i mean he's not the most technical striker that ever lived.

the gracie thing is probably right but thay come from a time when no one was grappling and thay did win all there fights so i wouldnt call it arrogence.

really though who cares? how many times do you get into streetfights? the ironic thing is, if your training alot then your not going to the sort of places were your likely to get into a fight. if your worried about it that much dont go to shit holes. i know plenty of people who have never got into a fight in there lives and probably never will and the poeple who do are generally looking for it or more accuratly not looking to avoid it.

you should train for fun or fitness or competiong ect but training for something that may happen to you once or twice in your life seems a bit pointless to me. just buy a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by 123 MMA View Post
    BJJ can help you a lot but I believe the Gracie's are very wrong and arrogant to call it a "complete self defence art" and that you dont need anything else for fighting.

Imo, a top striker like Melvin Manhoef (using him because all he has is striking) would absolutely destroy pure top BJJ guys who dont have anything else in a fight.
    Well if there was a street fight between say Manhoef and rousimar toquinho palhares, my money would be on palhares sending manhoef to hospital with destroyed ligaments in his leg.
    "A boxer is the best predator on land. The Lion, but throw him in the shark tank and he becomes just another meal" Renzo Gracie.

I was actually on about what i said in the original post, not "who would win in a fight between" or "Take the fight to the ground or keep it standing" etc. All those subjects have been covered.

I dont go out drinking every week, it was my best mates 18th party and i went out with him. I dont do it often, i generaly get to the end of the week and wanna fucking sleep after 5 days of training lol.

What i was asking was, has anyone actually needed or used BJJ to effectivly defend themselves? (regardless of situation, hes got mates, concrete floor etc.)

I personal have used it very effectivly, not that i get into alot of fights, but i definatly would of got fucked up if i had no knowledge of BJJ on at least 2 occasions.

That was what i asked, unsure if it came across differently in OP.
    This is not a gif. It is an actual video of Fedor doing infinate press ups.
    3-0-0

Quote Originally Posted by Jak-TapouT- View Post
    I was actually on about what i said in the original post, not "who would win in a fight between" or "Take the fight to the ground or keep it standing" etc. All those subjects have been covered.

I dont go out drinking every week, it was my best mates 18th party and i went out with him. I dont do it often, i generaly get to the end of the week and wanna fucking sleep after 5 days of training lol.

What i was asking was, has anyone actually needed or used BJJ to effectivly defend themselves? (regardless of situation, hes got mates, concrete floor etc.)

I personal have used it very effectivly, not that i get into alot of fights, but i definatly would of got fucked up if i had no knowledge of BJJ on at least 2 occasions.

That was what i asked, unsure if it came across differently in OP.

i know of loads of storys were people have used bjj to defend themselfs.
    i have never really had to use it as i have dontgetsopissedicantseewhatsgoingon-jitsu lol

When talking about an art's legitimacy for self defence, comparing one sportsman with another provides no answers.

Quote Originally Posted by blanker View Post
    i have never really had to use it as i have dontgetsopissedicantseewhatsgoingon-jitsu lol
    Same goes here mate.. I'm probablly a Grandmaster in dontgetsopissedicantseewhatsgoingon-jitsu .. ii allways believe it makes sense to not go soo overboard that you don't know what's going on or cannot see straight.. Though, saying that.. ii don't driink atall so ii allways have my witts about me.

GG