Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Having big ears and training a lot.......

Hybrid View

  1. #1

    Default Having big ears and training a lot.......

    Has caught up with me!

    I knew it was coming, my ears felt tender, but last week inner part of my left ear was super sensitive and kind of swollen. I've kept training and so it's just got a little bigger and a little more sensitive.

    It won't/hasn't stopped me training, and well I'm not really that bothered by it (my girlfriend however is haha) what are peoples experiences/advice on the dreaded onslaught of the cauliflower ear?

  2. #2

    Default

    Just accept it. You don't get cauliflower ear from being a pussy (or some other generic maxim). Alternatively, buy one of those ear-guard things that wrestlers and rugby players wear.

  3. #3

    Default

    Just rest it til the pain goes, any friction and it will get worse. I made the mistake once of training while it was painful and swollen and now have a bit of cauli, since then I ALWAYS let it heal if it swells in training.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Luke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Gophin' on the golf course
    Posts
    11,258

    Default

    My ears are a bit knobbly but not that bad. If they're bothering you just get an earguard.

  5. #5

    Default

    Treasure them, they make you look cool. Toffs think your a good Chap as you play ruggers and most else will know you do a matrial art.

    Out of interest what do you think was the contributing move or acton? Or was it a gradual thing over time?

    I am a judoka and get grounded into mats fairly regular, but my ears are fine apart from a bit lumpy.

    I think it's a genetic thing.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeH View Post

    I think it's a genetic thing.
    Apparently it is, I think it was an article in FO a while back (maybe Rosi Sexton wrote it......) which said that it's mainly a genetic thing, not all people are susceptible to them.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clarky14 View Post
    Apparently it is, I think it was an article in FO a while back (maybe Rosi Sexton wrote it......) which said that it's mainly a genetic thing, not all people are susceptible to them.
    It must be..you only need to look at tito and randy who both who have a collegiate wrestling backgrounds and used that in MMA - You won't find any sign of CF ear on Tito where as Randy could feed the world with his.

    Would like to see the FO article if you find it.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeH View Post

    Would like to see the FO article if you find it.
    Apologies, I've looked through my back catalogues and it looks like I've got rid of that magazine.

    Sorry again.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LukeH View Post
    Treasure them, they make you look cool. Toffs think your a good Chap as you play ruggers and most else will know you do a matrial art.

    Out of interest what do you think was the contributing move or acton? Or was it a gradual thing over time?

    I am a judoka and get grounded into mats fairly regular, but my ears are fine apart from a bit lumpy.

    I think it's a genetic thing.
    Funnily enough I have started doing judo over the last few months to compliment my bjj and just tighten me up.....wonder if it's the same thing?

    To be honest I think it is just from slipping my head out of certain things, scarf holds, escaping guillotines/triangles, regular shit just your ears rubbing, and like I said earlier, I got big ears so it makes it worse, forget cauliflower ears these are going to be like giant cabbages.

    I would get ear guards.....but I don't want to be "that guy" haha

  10. #10

    Default

    I'll have a look for you, give me a while.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

This website uses cookies to enhance user experience. They can be disabled at any time. Please see our FAQ's for details.